Johnston Hall - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posted by: BruceS
N 43° 02.309 W 087° 55.612
16T E 424499 N 4765505
Quick Description: Historic academic building on the campus of Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 9/11/2011 8:21:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMCJ3W
"Johnston Hall is a Gothic-ornamented classroom structure designed by Milwaukee architect Charles D. Crane and completed in 1907. It was built by Jas. Quinn with masonry work done by Ernest and Winter. (A). The four-story, irregular L-shaped building fronts on Milwaukee's main thoroughfare, Wisconsin Avenue, and is sited directly east of Gesu Church. Johnston Hall's facade is divided into three equal bays, each four windows wide with a slightly projecting center bay. The windows on the seond and third stories are united under pointed arches in the central bay and bordered by rectangular, stone surrounds in each of the side bays. Prominent cornices also reinforce this visual emphasis on the middle two stories. Rectangular, double-hung sash windows are used throughout the building. The mottled grey brick is trimed with Bedford stone foundations, lintels, surrounds, and quoins and with a sheet metal medallioned cornice. An entrance is located in each of the side bays, enframed by Gothic arches and finials. The uppermost portion of the building is crowned by a gable with crockets and finials. Finials also accent the corners of the roof. Dormer windows are located on either side of the gable. The interior features marble wainscoting in the vestibule and on some stairs, but is otherwise finished in exposed concrete. Johnston Hall originally was divided into a multitude of spaces: a chapel, a reading room, parlors, administrative offices, a lunch room, a two-story library, and laboratories for physics and chemistry. An observatory was located on the roof. Jesuit teachers were once housed in the south wing and, additionally, in the attic after remodeling was done in 1938." - National Register Nomination
When Johnston Hall was built it served as sole university building housing all departments except the medical department. The building now houses the J. William & Mary Diederich College of Communications and the student media.
1121 W. Wisconsin Ave.
County / Borough / Parish: Milwaukee
Year listed: 1986
Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Historic function: Education
Current function: Education
Privately owned?: yes
Primary Web Site: [Web Link]
Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]
Season start / Season finish: Not listed
Hours of operation: Not listed
Secondary Website 2: Not listed
National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.