Mosteiro de São Cristóvão de Lafões - São Pedro do Sul, Portugal
Posted by: tmob
N 40° 45.788 W 008° 10.406
29T E 569763 N 4512791
Quick Description: This cemetery is located in the churchyard of the Monastery of São Cristóvão de Lafões
Location: Viseu, Portugal
Date Posted: 9/3/2011 4:33:55 AM
Waymark Code: WMCFWF
«The Monastery was founded in the mid-twelve century, contemporary with the birth of Portuguese nation (it received a charter from the first king, D. Afonso Henriques, already in 1153). It was probably the first Cistercian abbey in Portugal, affiliated to Clairvaux, St. Bernard’ abbey.
It was always small and often poor and was much improved in the XVII th and XVIII th centuries. King D. João V presented the Monastery with gifts (among them the Assumption by the Roman painter Agostino Masucci) and the title of Royal Monastery.
After the extinction of all religious orders in 1834, the monastery was sold at auction and knew various proprietors who let it fall in ruins, until bought by the present owners in 1984.
It was then subjected to a careful work of restoration, which respected structure and style, and nowadays it offers comfort, tradition and harmony.
The monks’ refectory with its tiles (azulejos), the washing stand (lavabo) and the monumental staircase to the first floor are specially worthwhile of attention.
The Monastery is classified by the State as of “historical, architectonic and cultural interest” and as a Monument of Public Interest.»