Daggett House, Slater Park - Pawtucket, RI
Posted by: NorStar
N 41° 52.309 W 071° 20.661
19T E 305451 N 4638201
Quick Description: This house, within Pawtucket's Slater Park, is the oldest building standing in Pawtucket, and one of the oldest in Rhode Island.
Location: Rhode Island, United States
Date Posted: 8/30/2011 7:21:31 PM
Waymark Code: WMCF12
In Pawtucket, within Slater Park, is a old house known as the Daggett house. This house is considered the oldest structure standing in Pawtucket and one of the oldest in the state of Rhode Island.
The building is located along one of the main roads within the park. Follow the signs to the carousel and park behind it. The house is right by the road, across the street from the old boathouse that is now the Rhode Island Watercolor Society gallery and headquarters.
The house is a colonial-style building, with 2 1/2 floors for the main building, and a small addition to the side. The building has white clapboards and several windows on each side. There is a small entrance porch.
At the time of the visit (July 2011) the building was currently being worked on and was closed for tours. Scaffolding was seen on the end. The building has been run by the Daughters of the American Revolution since 1902, according to a couple signs around the house. Don't confuse it with the Daggett Farm and Greenhouse - though this is also in the park, the two sites are about a half mile apart.
The house was originally built in 1685 (sign on the house), for John Daggett, Jr., a farmer (Wikipedia). According to the Wikipedia site, in George Washington's diary, he had stopped by this house. The DAR web site for the house indicated that the house was near the old post road (now Route 1A Newport Avenue). The house is currently near Route 1A, so I am not sure if this is the original location of the house or not. In 1707, the house was transferred to the oldest son, who had many jobs, including Doctor and wheelwright and miller. It went through successive ownerships in the family until about 1870. The house was later transferred to the Pawtucket Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1905. Since then, it serves as a museum for 17th-19th Century artifacts.
Wikipedia (Daggett House):