Anmer Church of St Mary - Norfolk
Posted by: Norfolk12
N 52° 50.100 E 000° 34.710
31U E 336886 N 5856663
Quick Description: A Small grade II* church on part of the Sandringham Estate, the majority of windows are plain or victorian diamond glass, with a magnificent window over the altar.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/22/2011 1:54:23 AM
Waymark Code: WMCCFV
link to more info: (visit link
Parish church. C14 Decorated and C15 Perpendicular, chancel mainly late C19 restored Early English. Rubble flint with stone dressings, late C19 plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel, south porch and south chapel. Perpendicular west tower with west door and 3-light window, 2 set off angle buttresses with flushwork, 4 2-light belfry windows, battlemented parapet.
3 bay nave, on north side with Decorated north door, 2 windows : one 4-centred 3-light and one straight headed 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows. Nave south with 2 blocked openings and one 2-light window between the south porch and south chapel under red brick relieving arch. Porch C14 Decorated arch,set off angle buttresses, north and south windows, ambitious stone pointed tunnel vault with tranverse arches appears late C19. South chapel built by
Sir Oliver Calthorpe, Lord of Manor, C14 Decorated with one west lancet, one south window and fine flowing tracery 3-light east window, gable roof late C19. 2 bay chancel details externally largely late C19, 4-light intersecting tracery east window reproduces earlier evidence. Interior: Perpendicular tower arch with elaborate clustered pier and battlemented collar capital.
Recut C15 font with shields. 7½ bay late C19 arched braced hammer beam roof. Perpendicular chancel arch with stairs and rood loft arch from south side. 3 bay late C19 chancel roof, internal details all late C19. Calthorpe Chapel to south restored 1895 with screen to Decorated arch from nave. 1895 panelled roof with bosses, reredos. 2 C18 wall monuments, ledger slab floor. C18 baluster font. Nave has Royal Arms of George III before 1801, 6 painted coldham
hatchments. 1906 benches and screen across nave. West window in tower, Wardand Hughes 1884.