Casa de Bandini
Posted by: heringermr
N 32° 45.276 W 117° 11.795
11S E 481584 N 3624099
Quick Description: This building is located in Old Town San Diego State Park and is also known as the Cosmopolitan Hotel.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 8/1/2011 4:25:23 PM
Waymark Code: WMC6T1
This adobe house was constructed about 1827 by José and Juan Bandini. The single story, thatched-roofed adobe was built on the plaza’s southeast corner. Originally, it had seven rooms, a zaguán or entrance hall, an enclosed courtyard, a corral, and several sheds.
The Casa de Bandini had built-in, adobe-layered cornices and unexposed roof rafters—Spanish Colonial architectural features usually found only in the designs of California’s missions. The rooms had thick adobewalls, ceilings of heavymuslin, and deep-set windows with shutters.
As headquarters of Commodore Robert F. Stockton in 1846, it was the place where Kit Carson and Edward Beale delivered their urgent message of December 9, 1846, calling for reinforcements to be rushed to the aid of General Kearny.
In 1869, ten years after Bandini’s death, Albert Seeley, a stagemaster, converted the old adobe into the L-shaped Greek Revival Cosmopolitan hotel. Funded with money from his wife Emily, Seeley renovated the first story and added a wood-framed second story and balconies.
The second-story balcony featured turned wooden columns and was enclosed with turned baluster railings. The clay tile roof was replaced with a wood-shingle hipped roof.
Marker Number: 72.00
Marker Name: CASA DE BANDINI
County: San Diego
Has Official CA Plaque: no
Marker Dedication Date: 12/6/1932
On NE corner of Mason and Calhoun Sts, Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
Website: [Web Link]
Feel free to post a picture of you at the landmark site, but a photo is not required to log a visit.