Sokol Praha VII - Letná
Posted by: haggaeus
N 50° 06.118 E 014° 25.752
33U E 459179 N 5550124
Quick Description: Recently repaired art noveau building near Stromovka park, a center of the local Sokol unit.
Location: Hlavni mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Date Posted: 7/31/2011 12:18:10 PM
Waymark Code: WMC6CW
When Sokol Karlín organized their day trip to Troja in 1884, they were passing through Holešovice and Bubny - at these time they were villages behind the border of Prague City. The locals liked the idea and in August 1884 they founded their own Sokol club.
In beginning of 20th century the Sokols of Holešovice-Bubny bought a property near the cemetery and started the construction of their own building. The opening ceremony took place in September 1906.
In 1920s the building was extended and another gym was built in other part of Holešovice (Maniny). The Sokols of Prague VII were active in athletics, fencing, horseback riding, shooting sports and organized skiing trips to Krkonoše mountains.
During WW II Sokol was banned and many of the members died in concentration camps, fighting in Allies forces, or in the domestic resistance movement. Their names are listed at the memorial plaque next to the entrance.
After a short period of activity after 1945 the Sokol was banned again in 1950 by Communists and the building became an ownership of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
After 1989 the Sokol Praha VII unit was restored as one of the first units. Currently it is active in general gymnastics, floorball and there is a successful modern gymnastics group
which has its own website.