Posted by: nomadwillie
N 43° 40.157 W 071° 15.495
19T E 317941 N 4837619
Quick Description: Located at 240 Middle Road, Center Tuftonboro, NH
Location: New Hampshire, United States
Date Posted: 7/23/2011 4:15:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMC440
The Tuftonboro Town Hall is a modern day colonial styled structure. The styling is a perfect compliment for rustic New Hampshire. There are 4 main parts to the hall. In the center is a large barn looking building. To the left is an entraceway the leads to a shed dormer type wing. To the right is a house like wing.
Tuftonboro was the only incorporated place in New Hampshire owned by just one man, John Tufton Mason, for whom the town was named. Following the 1741 separation of New Hampshire from Massachusetts, Mason was heir to the Masonian Claim, the undivided lands of northern New Hampshire. He sold them in 1746 to a group of Portsmouth merchants, thereafter known as the Masonian Proprietors. They disposed of the land via grants to prospective settlers prior to the Revolution.
The town was granted as Tuftonborough in 1750 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, and first settled about 1780. It was incorporated by the legislature on December 17, 1795. By 1859, when the population was 1,305, the principal occupation was raising cattle and sheep across the hilly terrain. Other industries included 2 sawmills, one sash, blind and door factory, one carriage factory, and 2 gristmills
Source: (visit link