Battery G, 1st New York Artillery Monument - Gettysburg, PA
N 39° 48.078 W 077° 15.007
18S E 307366 N 4408125
Quick Description: This very tall 18-foot monument topped with an orb is one of 90 monuments in the park honoring New York regiments. The monument marks the position held by Battery G during the afternoon of July 2, 1863. Located @ Peach Orchard & flanked by cannons.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 7/22/2011 4:35:21 AM
Waymark Code: WMC3WK
The 1st New York Artillery, Battery G served as a member of Fitzhugh’s Brigade in the Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac and was commanded by Capt. Nelson Ames (1836-1907), a native of Mexico, New York. He was wounded during the Overland Campaign of 1864 and was the post-war mayor of Marshalltown, Iowa.
The Battery G, 1st New York Artillery Monument is located in the Peach Orchard facing Emmitsburg Road. The four granite monoliths representing various corps which fought here are to its immediate left. The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative and the SIRIS site (and me) offers the following description: Granite shaft with bronze relief of crossed cannon and tondo seal, with apex cap topped by a polished granite sphere. Monument is a granite shaft with an apex cap that has a cornice and polished sphere and set on a 6.4 foot square rough hewn base. The shaft contains inscriptions, a relief, and a bronze state seal on the west side and a bronze inscription tablet on the east face. Overall height is 18.4 foot. On top of the cannons is a trefoil which is the symbol of the second corps. Underneath the cannon is a diamond which is the symbol of the third corps. The HMDB site also points out the monument is flanked by two 12-pounder Model 1857 Napoleons representing the battery. The battery took six cannons like this into action at Gettysburg. The cannons represent and the monument marks the position held by Battery G during the afternoon of July 2, 1863 when supporting the III Corps salient in the Peach Orchard.
The monument was dedicated on July 3, 1893 by the State of New York and fabricated by Frederick & Field. The sculpture is made of Quincy granite with bronze adornments and has the following dimensions: Overall: approx. 18 ft. 4 in. x 6 ft. 4 in. x 6 ft. 4 in. The monument bears the following inscription:
1st N.Y. Light Artillery
Engaged here with 3d Corps
3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. July 2, 1863.
July 3d, on Cemetery Ridge
with 1st Div. 2d Corps.
Casualties, 7 wounded.
(Back):Mustered in Sept. 22, 1861.
Fair Oaks - Peach Orchard
Savage's Station - White Oak Swamp
Malvern Hill - Antietam
Fredericksburg - Chancellorsville
Auburn Hill - Bristoe Station
Robertson's Tavern - Wilderness
Po River - Spottsylvania
North Anna - Totopotomoy
Petersburg June 16, 1864 to Apr. 3, 1865.
Mustered out June 19, 1865.
From Stone Sentinels (cited below): The monument was informally dedicated on the anniversary of the battle in 1893. According to Ames, "Thirteen of the survivors of the battery were present, and we dedicated the noble monument in silence and in tears. No one wanted to make a speech, an none was made. Our meeting was like the meeting of a family, and formalities seemed out of place. We dedicated the monument with our tears..."
The Battery G, 1st New York Artillery Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The monument is identified as structure number MN178-E.
From the Nomination Form:
1 of 90 mns in Park to NY commands in Gettysburg Campaign. Mark position held by battery during July 2, 1863 when supporting the III Corps slaient there. Located in Peach Orchard facing Emmitsburg Rd; Position marker at line held on July 3, at Hancock Ave, near United States Ave.
Short Physical Description:
Mn w/ 2 bronze cannons & position marker w/ 2 altered 6-lb bronze cannons. Rough-hewn base 6'4" sq. Granite shaft w/apex cap w/ cornice & polished sphere; insciptions, relief, 2'1"x1'6" & bronze state seal on W. Bronze inscription tablet 2'6"x1'6" on E. All 18'4"H. Marker 1'x1'6"x2'8",slant-face.
Long Physical Description:
Monument that has two bronze Napoleon cannons and a position marker with two altered six-pound bronze cannon. Monument is a granite shaft with an apex cap that has a cornice and polished sphere and set on a 6.4 foot square rough hewn base. The shaft contains inscriptions, a relief, and a bronze state seal on the west side and a bronze inscription tablet on the east face. Overall height is 18.4 foot. The position marker has a slant face, 1x1.6 foot. Monument is located in the Peach Orchard facing Emmitsburg Road. Position marker is on Hancock Avenue, near United States Avenue. [Much smaller granite marker secondary to this - MT]
1. Draw the Sword
3. Virtual Gettysburg
4. Historical Marker Database
5. Stone Sentinels
6. NRHP Narrative