Shap War Memorial Hall, Cumbria
N 54° 31.752 W 002° 40.579
30U E 520947 N 6042451
Quick Description: Shap's War Memorial Hall started life as the Market Hall. It was rededicated in 1921 to the fallen.
Location: Northwest England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/20/2011 7:30:51 AM
Waymark Code: WMC3CK
The Market Hall bore the Lowther coat of arms above the door. A porch was added and rededicated in 1921. The hall is heavily used. The local history society meet the rear extension. Prior to the adjacent school having their own kitchen, meals were prepared and served here.
"At times of heavy snowfall when the A6 was blocked, the hall was a refuge for stranded lorry drivers, and the local WRVS provided sustenance. In 1999 the hall was used as a base by RAF personnel following the plane crash at the north end of the village.
In 2000 the hall was refurbished and updated with the aid of a Lottery
grant; the billiard and reading rooms becoming small meeting rooms.
The stage in the main hall was removed, to accommodate better toilet and storage facilities and portable stage blocks obtained. The kitchen is now well appointed. " from download.