57th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument - Gettysburg, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Math Teacher
N 39° 48.221 W 077° 14.918
18S E 307499 N 4408387
Quick Description: This beautiful, flag-draped obelisk stand in front of the Sherfy farm house, right next to the highway. The monument indicates the position first taken by the regiment when Sickles advanced his third corps.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 7/18/2011 4:07:14 PM
Waymark Code: WMC2W9
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:

During the battle of Gettysburg, the 57th Pennsylvania Infantry served as a member of Graham’s Brigade in Birney’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac, a Fighting 300 Regiment. The regiment was commanded by Colonel Peter Sides (1820-1878), who was wounded on the 2nd (and again at the Wilderness). He was a merchant from Philadelphia. Captain Alanson H. Nelson then took command. The 57th brought 207 men to the field, losing 11 killed, 46 wounded and 58 missing.

The 57th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument is located on the west side of Emmitsburg Road at the Sherfy farm house. It is enclosed with a cast iron fence. The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative and the SIRIS site offers the following description: Granite; Relief plaque: bronze; Base: granite. A draped obelisk adorned with a bronze relief plaque depicting the state seal. Monument is a 2.10 foot square granite shaft with an apex top that is covered with a sculptured draped flag and set on a five foot square smooth base. The shaft has inscription panels on all sides and a bronze state seal on the east face. Overall height is 11.7 foot. Flanking markers are one foot square with flat tops and inscriptions on the east faces.

The monument was dedicated July 2, 1888 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and was carved by McMenamin. The sculpture is entirely of granite save for the bronze relief plaque and has the following dimensions: Overall: approx. 11 ft. 7 in. x 5 ft. x 5 ft. The text on the monument reads:

(Front):

57th Penn'a.
Veteran Vol's.
1st Brig. 1st Div.
3rd Corps.

The regiment occupied
this position, exposed to a
heavy artillery fire on the
afternoon of July 2, for two
hours, when it advanced 170
feet and engaged the enemy.

(Left):
Mustered in
October & November 1861
———
Re-enlisted
December 30, 1863.
———
Mustered out
June 29, 1865.
———

(Rigth):
Participated in the
Following Engagements.
———
Yorktown - Mine Run
Williamsburg - Wilderness
Fair Oaks - Spottsylvania
Oak Grove - North Anna
Glendale - Totopotomoy
Malvern Hill - Cold Harbor
Bristoe Station - Petersburg
Groveton - Strawberry Plains
2d Bull Run - Deep Bottom
Chantilly - Poplar Spring Church
Fredericksburg - Boydton Road
Chancellorsville - Hatchers Run
Gettysburg - Petersburg
Auburn - Amelia Springs
Kelly's Ford - Appomattox

The 57th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The monument is identified as structure number MN190-B.

From the Nomination Form:

1 of 110 mns in Park honoring PA commands in Gettysburg Campaign. Marks position 1st taken by regiment when Sickle threw forward his III Corps. Located on W side of Emmittsburg Rd at Sherfy Farm House.

Short Physical Description:

MN & 2 Flank Markers. Smooth base 5' sq; granite shaft: 2'10" sq. Polished inscription panels on all sides. Bronze state seal on E side. Apex-top covered w/ sculpted draped flag. All 11'7"H. Flank markers, 1'x1'x1', flat-top w/ inscription on E face. Enclosed w/cast-iron fence.

Long Physical Description Monument that has two flanking markers. Monument is a 2.10 foot square granite shaft with an apex top that is covered with a sculptured draped flag and set on a five foot square smooth base. The shaft has inscription panels on all sides and a bronze state seal on the east face. Overall height is 11.7 foot. Flanking markers are one foot square with flat tops and inscriptions on the east faces. Located on the west side of Emmitsburg Road at the Sherfy farm house. It is enclosed with a cast iron fence (FN39).


My Sources
1. Draw the Sword
2. SIRIS
3. Virtual Gettysburg
4. Historical Marker Database
5. Stone Sentinels
6. NRHP Narrative

Date Installed or Dedicated: 7/2/1888

Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Union

Rating (1-5):

Related Website: [Web Link]

Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Civil War Monuments and Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.