CCC Log Cabin - Two Harbors, MN
Posted by: lenron
N 47° 01.560 W 091° 39.822
15T E 601543 N 5208919
Quick Description: CCC Log Cabin in Two Harbors, MN.
Location: Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 7/14/2011 11:59:38 AM
Waymark Code: WMC1FP
As with all CCC buildings, this log cabin has a storied history and it is great to see it displayed and better yet, being used.
The cabin once was located at the Cloquet Lake Lookout fire station. With the support and help of many local community groups it was relocated to it's present location in Two Harbors, MN.
The log cabin sits back of the main highway, Highway 61 also known as the North Shore Scenic Drive. Turn off the highway and enjoy this slice of history. There is plenty of room for stretching the legs, taking photos and letting the kids burn off some energy before you continue on to the North Shore. Nearby is a Smokey the Bear sign, and a wonderful wood carving of a Native American, all great photo opportunites and educational.
The log cabin now serves as the R.J. Houle visitor information center and the local Chamber of Commerce. Iside you can get tourist information, soda pop, visit with the friendly folks and tour the interior of the CCC log cabin.
Outside of the log cabin there is a great informational sign and it reads:
CIVILIAN CONSERVATION CORPS
The Civilian Conservation Corps was an important part of the public works program following the Depression of the late 1920's and early 1930's. Establishment of the CCC's was approved by Congress on March 31, 1933.
The CCC program provided employment for thousands of idle young men in forestry, conservation and park projects. Work included road construction, fire prevention, reforestation, erosion control and recreational development. The CCC program provided relief from the distress and frustration accompanying the depression years and strengtened the moral and physical character of America's young men.
The federal CCC was carried out by four agencies. The Department of Labor enlisted enrollees, the War department administered CCC camps, and the Department of Agriculture and Interior supervised field work.
CCC camps consisted of from 100 to 200 men who received their food, shelter and clothing, and base pay. Many of the tree plantations in the Region were planted by corpsmen who lived in the CCC camps.
The log cabin on this site is an example of one of the many projects which were undertaken and remains witness to skilled craftsmanship. This cabin was originally located at Cloquet Lake Fire Lookout Station. The relocation of the cabin to this site was made possible through the efforts of the U.S. Forest Service, Lake County, Minnesota Department of Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation, Minnesota Highway Department, City of Two Harbors and the Two Harbors Jaycees.
Logs must include picture of person with GPS'r in hand with the waymark and log of experience and any additional things learned about the waymark.