26th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument - Gettysburg, PA
N 39° 48.536 W 077° 14.579
18S E 307998 N 4408957
Quick Description: The monument is one of 110 at Gettysburg that honors PA troops in the Gettysburg campaign. The monument indicates the position held by the 26th Infantry on the afternoon of July 2, 1863 in the brigade line along Emmitsburg Road.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 7/9/2011 12:40:21 AM
Waymark Code: WMBZV8
The 26th Pennsylvania Infantry served as a member of Carr’s Brigade in Humphrey’s Division of the Third Corps, Army of the Potomac and was commanded by Maj. Robert L. Bodine (1832-1874) who was a book keeper from Philadelphia. The regiment brought 365 men to the field, losing 30 killed, 176 wounded and 7 missing.
The 26th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument is located Located on the east side of Emmitsburg Road north of the junction with Sickles Avenue. The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative and the SIRIS site offers the following description: A square granite monument carved on the front with a relief depicting a soldier’s backpack and bedroll. Below the relief is a bronze plaque depicting the state seal, and above the relief is the diamond symbol of the Third Corps. Monument is a 3.2 foot square granite shaft with an apex cap with a panel containing the Third Corps diamond insignia and set on a 6.5 foot square rough hewn base. The shaft has incised inscriptions on all sides and a knapsack sculpted on the west face. Overall height is 10.6 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square with a polished flat top and inscriptions. Monument includes commemorative era fencing.
The monument indicates the position held by the 26th Infantry on the afternoon of July 2, 1863 in the brigade line along Emmitsburg Road. Here they were attacked by Confederates until relieved by a division of the 2nd Corps. The building of the monument began in 1888 and was finished in late 1890 and dedicated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The dimensions are: Overall: approx. H. 10 ft. 6 in.; Base: W. 6 ft. 5 in. x D. 6 ft. 5 in. The monument is composed of granite with bronze elements. The sculpture was carved by J. M. Cessler. The text of the marker reads:
(Front):26th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 2nd went into action
here with 365 officers and
men. Killed 30. Wounded 176
Missing 7. Total 213.
1st Brig. 2nd Div. 3d Corps.(Left):Recruited in Philadelphia
Mustered in May 27th 1861.
Mustered out June 18th 1864.
Right of 3rd Corps on this line(Right):Yorktown - Second Bull Run
Williamsburg - Fredericksburg
Oak Grove - Chancellorsville
Peach Orchard - Gettysburg
Glendale - Wapping Heights
Malvern Hill Second - Mine Run
Bristoe Station - Wilderness
Groveton - Spotsylvania
The C26th Pennsylvania Infantry Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The monument is identified as structure number MN202-B
From the Nomination Form:
1 of 110 mns in Park honoring PA commands in Gettysburg Campaign. Marks position held by 26 PA Infantry on July 2, 1863. Located on E side of Emmitsburg Rd, N of junction w/Sickles Ave.
Short Physical Description:
MN & 2 Flank Markers. Rough-hewn base: 6'5" sq. Shaft 3'2"sq, 10'6" high; apex cap w/ paneled III Corps insignia; incised inscriptions on all sides, knapsack sculpted on W face. Flank markers, 1'x1'x1'6", flat polished top & inscriptions.
Long Physical Description
Monument that has two flanking markers. Monument is a 3.2 foot square granite shaft with an apex cap with a panel containing the Third Corps diamond insignia and set on a 6.5 foot square rough hewn base. The shaft has incised inscriptions on all sides and a knapsack sculpted on the west face. Overall height is 10.6 feet. Flanking markers are one foot square with a polished flat top and inscriptions. Monument includes commemorative era fencing. Located on the east side of Emmitsburg Road north of the junction with Sickles Avenue.
1. Draw the Sword
3. Virtual Gettysburg
4. Historical Marker Database
5. Stone Sentinels
6. NRHP Narrative