55th Ohio Infantry Monument - Gettysburg, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 49.287 W 077° 13.975
18S E 308894 N 4410325
Quick Description: The monument to the 55th Ohio Infantry Regiment is south of Gettysburg on Taneytown Road at Steinwehr Avenue. it is at the edge of a cemetery and the only monument in the area in a town filled with them.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 7/8/2011 8:26:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMBZK7
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:

The 55th Ohio Infantry served as a member of Smith’s Brigade in von Steinwehr’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac. A Fighting 300 Regiment. The regiment was commanded at Gettysburg by Colonel Charles B. Gambee (1827-1864). It brought 375 men to the field. The regiment had a Medal of Honor winner, Charles Stacey, a private, who, on July 2, 1863 voluntarily took an advanced position on the skirmish line for the purpose of ascertaining the location of Confederate sharpshooters, and under heavy fire held the position thus taken until the company of which he was a member went back to the main line.

The monument to the 55th Ohio Infantry Regiment is outside the cemetery on the Emmitsburg Road and is located on the east side of the Taneytown Road at its junction with Steinwehr Avenue and Washington Street.. The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative and the SIRIS site offers the following description: Sculpture consists on a shaft on a two-tiered base. On the front face of the shaft is a uniformed soldier crouching behind a stone fence. He is firing his rifle and is kneeling on his proper right knee. The 11th Corps crescent appears at the top front. It marks the location where the 55th Ohio held the ground that the 1st and 11th Corps retreated to on July 1, 1863. The 55th Ohio maintained its position through July 2 & 3. This is the site’s only sandstone monument and the only Ohio monument built with Ohio materials. New bronze inscription plaques were added in April 1989 by Karkadoulias Bronze Art. Unfortunately, the soft stone does not weather well like harder stones such as granite and the monument is actually slowly melting away under the elements. Little can be done to correct this problem. The monument was dedicated on September 14, 1887. The dimensions are: Sculpture: approx. 12 ft. 4 in. x 3 ft. 1 in. x 3 ft. 1 in.; Base: approx. W. 6 ft. x D. 6 ft. The monument is composed of: Sculpture: Amherst, Ohio silver grey sandstone; Base: Amherst, Ohio silver grey sandstone. and was sculpted by R.R. King. The text of the marker reads:

(Front):

55th
Ohio
Infantry
2d Brig. 2d Div. 11th Corps.
Erected by the State of Ohio.

(Left):
55th Ohio Infantry
Arrived at 2:20 pm. July 1, in
this position, which it held
throughout the battle.
With severe loss,
its skirmishers drove back
those of the enemy
and seized a barn between
the lines,
where 12 of its men were
surrounded and captured by
the enemy's main line.
Casualties
6 killed. 31 wounded.
12 missing.

(Right):
55th Oho Infantry
Organized for 3 years
at Norwalk, Ohio,
Autumn of 1861. Served in
the Mountain Department,
1st Corps, Army of Virginia,
and 11th Corps,
Army of the Potomac.
Was transferred in September,
1863, to Army of the
Cumberland.
Served in Grant's Chattanooga
Campaign
and with the 20th Corps in
Sherman's Georgia and Carolina
Campaigns.
Mustered out July 11, 1865.

The 55th Ohio Infantry Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The monument is identified as structure number MN818-A. (FYI: The SIRIS site has the monument's index number incorrectly listed as MN 292A)

Short Significance Description:

1of 20 Civil War Civil War monuments to Ohio of the GBMA Era (1863 - 1895). Located in approximate line center held by 55th Ohio July 1-3, 1863. Monument located E side Taneytown Road at its junction w/ Steinwehr Ave & Washington St. L Flank Marker located 145' S of Mn in Cemetery Annex.

Short Physical Description Mn & 2 flanking markers. 6'sq base, excised inscription. 2 part stepped shaft, excised inscription, 55th Infantry seal. Tapers to obelisk w/ bas-relief front/rear, bronze tablets on sides cover original incised inscriptions. LF: 1'sq x1'5"H. RF in salvage pile Park Maint.


My Sources
1. Draw the Sword
2. SIRIS
3. Virtual Gettysburg
4. Historical Marker Database
5. Stone Sentinels
6. NRHP Narrative

Date Installed or Dedicated: 9/17/1887

Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: State of Ohio

Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Union

Rating (1-5):

Related Website: [Web Link]

Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Civil War Monuments and Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.