Ruine Ehrenberg (Fort Claudia), Tyrol, Austria
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member luzzi1971
N 47° 27.710 E 010° 43.360
32T E 629832 N 5257926
Quick Description: Ruine Ehrenberg (Fort Claudia), Tyrol, Austria
Location: Tirol, Austria
Date Posted: 7/8/2011 2:14:45 AM
Waymark Code: WMBZG9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 5

Long Description:
[DE]
Der Falkenberg gegenüber der Burg Ehrenberg hatte sich bereits im 16. Jahrhundert als Schwachstelle im Ehrenberger Befestigungssystem erwiesen. Der landesfürstliche Festungsbaumeister Elias Gumpp begann deshalb um 1639 mit der Planung eines Forts, das die Umgehung der Burg erschweren sollte. Der Neubau wurde nach der Landesherrin Claudia von Medici – der Witwe des Erzherzogs Leopolds V. – benannt.

Im Spanischen Erbfolgekrieg konnte der bayerische Kurfürst die Burg dennoch einnehmen (1703). Den Tirolern gelang jedoch kurz darauf die Rückeroberung. Hierzu wurden Geschütze auf den noch unbefestigten Schlosskopf hinter der Veste gezogen und die Burg sturmreif geschossen. Diese Ereignisse erwiesen die Notwendigkeit einer weiteren Befestigungsanlage auf dem Schlosskopf, der die mittelalterliche Kernburg um etwa 150 Meter überragt. Von 1726 bis 1741 entstand deshalb eine riesige Festungsanlage auf dem Berg (Festung Schlosskopf).

Bereits 1782 wurden die Tiroler Landesfestungen bis auf Kufstein aufgelassen und teilweise abgebrochen. Das Fort wurde jedoch noch bis ins 19. Jahrhundert bewohnt. Anschließend begann der Verfall der Anlage, die zusammen mit der Festung von der Forschung bis zur Jahrtausendwende nahezu unbeachtet blieb. Auch vielen Einheimischen waren die Festungswerke um die Burg nahezu unbekannt.

Im Zuge des Ausbaues der Burgenregion Ostallgäu-Außerfern wurde um das Jahr 2000 mit ersten Erhaltungsmaßnahmen begonnen, die im Bereich des Forts bereits weitgehend abgeschlossen werden konnten. Zur Wiederherstellung der historischen Sichtbeziehungen mussten hierzu größere Bergwaldflächen gerodet werden.

Das Fort liegt auf einem nahezu ebenen Absatz am Berghang östlich der Bundesstraße. Gegenüber thront die Burg auf nahezu gleicher Höhe auf ihrem Bergsattel, den der Schlosskopf mit der Festung überragt. Im Bergwald lassen sich die Vorwerke und Schanzen um das Kernwerk noch teilweise gut verfolgen. Einige dieser Befestigungswerke scheinen bereits vor dem 17. Jahrhundert angelegt worden zu sein. Zusätzlich laufen Wallzüge zur Klause am Bergsattel. Die Geschütze standen sicherlich hier im Vorfeld des Forts, dessen Schartenöffnungen nur den Einsatz von Musketen erlaubten.

Die stark ruinösen Reste des Kernwerkes wurden nach 2000 konserviert und teilweise wieder aufgemauert. Die Grundfläche ist quadratisch, die Seitenlängen betragen etwa 20 m. Im Osten springen zwei spitzwinkelige Basteien aus. Eine weitere kleine Bastion schützte das Eingangstor an der Westseite. Die Bastionen sind nur etwa halb so hoch wie das übrige Mauerwerk und sind vom Innenraum aus zugänglich. Das Mauerwerk wird in regelmäßigen Abständen von schmalen Musketenscharten durchbrochen, die Innen trapezförmig erweitert und rundbogig abgeschlossen wurden. Außen läuft ein wulstiges Kordongesims um den Oberteil der Anlage. Als Baumaterial diente der anstehende Kalkstein der Umgebung.


[EN]
The Falkenberg to the Ehrenberg castle had been in the 16 Century as a weak point in Ehrenberger proven mounting system. The sovereign's military architect Elias Gumpp therefore started at 1639 with the planning of a fort that would make it difficult to circumvent the castle. The new building was to the country's mistress Claudia de Medici - named - the widow of the Archduke Leopold V.

In the War of Spanish Succession was the Bavarian Elector still occupy the castle (1703). However, shortly after the Tyroleans managed to reclaim. For this purpose, the guns were still unpaved head lock and dragged behind the fortress fired the castle assault. These events demonstrated the need for an additional fastening system on the head castle, which overlooks the medieval castle core of about 150 meters. From 1726 to 1741 was therefore a huge fortress on the hill (castle fortress head).

As early as 1782, the Tyrolean provincial fortresses were closed down to Kufstein and partially aborted. The fort was still up to the 19th Century inhabited. Then began the decline of the plant, which remained together with the fortress of the research to the turn of the millennium almost unnoticed. Even many locals were the fortifications around the castle almost unknown.

As part of the improvements at Castle region Ostallgäu-Ausserfern was around the year 2000 began with the first conservation measures that could be in the range of the forts already completed. To restore the historical perspective on this relationship had bigger mountain forest areas are cleared.

The fort lies to the east on an almost flat shoulder on the slope of the road. Opposite the castle stands on virtually the same amount on her saddle, the castle towers over the head with the fortress. In the mountain forest, the farms and hills around the nuclear plant can still follow some good. Some of these fortifications appear before the 17th Century to have been created. In addition, Wall trains run to the hermitage on the mountain saddle. The guns were certainly here in advance of the fort, whose embrasure openings allowed only the use of muskets.

The ruinous remains of the strong nuclear plant after 2000 were preserved and partially backed up. The base is square, the side lengths are about 20 m. In the east, jumping from two acute-angled bastions. Another small bastion protected the entrance on the west side. The bastions are only about half as tall as the rest of the masonry and are accessible from the interior. The masonry is periodically interrupted by narrow Musketenscharten, the interior have been expanded trapezoidal and round-arched completed. Outdoor runs a beaded Kordongesims around the upper part of the plant. Served as a building material of the surrounding limestone pending.
Type: Ruin

Fee: No

Hours:
always


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
luzzi1971 visited Ruine Ehrenberg (Fort Claudia), Tyrol, Austria 2/19/2012 luzzi1971 visited it
Arkhan visited Ruine Ehrenberg (Fort Claudia), Tyrol, Austria 6/13/2011 Arkhan visited it

View all visits/logs