Mosteiro de São Miguel de Refojos - Cabeceiras de Basto, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 41° 30.806 W 007° 59.620
29T E 583974 N 4596245
Quick Description: [PT]O Mosteiro de São Miguel de Refojos de Basto ou Convento de Refóios, fica situado na freguesia de Refojos de Basto.[EN] Monastery of São Miguel de Refojos de Basto or Refojos Convent, located in the parish of Refojos de Basto.
Location: Braga, Portugal
Date Posted: 7/6/2011 8:21:01 AM
Waymark Code: WMBZ0W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 2

Long Description:
[PT]O Mosteiro de São Miguel de Refojos de Basto ou Convento de Refóios, fica situado na freguesia de Refojos de Basto.

O primeiro documento relativo ao Mosteiro data de 1122. D. Afonso Henriques em 1131 concede carta de couto ao mosteiro.

As obras do actual mosteiro tiveram início em 1755, sendo acordadas entre o arquitecto bracarense André Soares e o abade Frei Francisco de S. José. Com o aproximar-se do fim das obras deu-se a chegada ao mosteiro de Frei José de Santo António Vilaça, que ali trabalhou de 1764 a 1770.

A fachada da igreja distingue-se pelas suas enormes dimensões, dos lados direito e esquerdo estão colocadas as estátuas em tamanho natural do fundador da Ordem de São Bento – São Bento de Núrcia, e de Santa Escolástica.

O Mosteiro foi vendido pelo Estado, depois da extinção das ordens religiosas, em 1834.

Actualmente a igreja do mosteiro continua a ser usada para o culto e o resto do mosteiro acolhe os serviços da Câmara Municipal.


[EN] Monastery of São Miguel de Refojos de Basto or Refojos Convent, located in the parish of Refojos de Basto.

The first document relating to the monastery, dates from 1122.
D. Afonso Henriques in 1131 provides couto letter to the monastery.

The works of the existing monastery began in 1755, and agreed between the architect André Soares Braga and Fr Abbot of St. Francis With Joseph approaching the end of the work took place on arrival at the monastery of Frei José de Santo António Vilaca, who worked there from 1764 to 1770.

The church facade is distinguished by its enormous size, the right and left sides are placed the life-size statues of the founder of the Order of St. Benedict - St. Benedict of Norcia, and St. Scholastica.

The Monastery was sold by the state after the extinction of the religious orders in 1834.

Today the church of the monastery is still used for worship and the rest of the monastery houses services of the City Hall.


Fonte: (visit link)
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Mosteiro de São Miguel de Refojos and Convento de Refóios

Address:
Refojos de Basto
Cabeceiras de Basto, Braga Portugal


Religious affiliation: Católica

Date founded/constructed: Founded in 1122 and Constructed in 1755

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.