Half-way House between Dundee Quebec and Fort Covington NY
N 44° 59.878 W 074° 30.473
18T E 538787 N 4982842
Quick Description: The Halfway House, was a tavern that was also known as Taillon's International Hotel, that straddles the Canadian/USA border between Dundee, Quebec and Fort Covington, New York that was built in 1820 before the border was surveyed.
Location: Quebec, Canada
Date Posted: 7/3/2011 10:15:56 PM
Waymark Code: WMBY8A
Located between the Canadian and US custom buildings on Quebec Route 132 and New York Water Street, the wall of this building is painted to tell the story. The building was built in 1820 before the border was surveyed. For years it was known as Taillon's International Hotel where John B. Taillon (b. 1842) ran a tavern that was known far and wide. The bar room was partly in Fort Covington, New York, United States, and partly in Dundee, Quebec, Canada, which was probably a boon to business. The border crossing is open 24 hours a day, year round.
Type: Roadside Oddities
Referenced in (list books, websites and other media): Not listed
Additional Coordinates: Not Listed
Website Reference: Not listed
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.