By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Conway House, Chesterfield, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Queens Blessing
N 38° 39.987 W 090° 32.436
15S E 713974 N 4282633
Quick Description: The Conway house was built in the 1850s.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/3/2011 4:05:39 PM
Waymark Code: WMBY6D
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:
This home was built in the 1850s, probably by (Dr.) Frederick Bates (son of Missouri's 2nd Governor), and was the home of Frederick, his wife Lavinia, and was their home when their son, Woodville. The Bates owned 209 acres and owned slaves who assisted with the farm while Frederick tended to his physician practice and his investments in the Central Plank Road Company, a business that was organized to plank Olive Street Road as a toll way.

Frederick died in 1862 at the age of 36, just after the birth of Woodville. Lavinia later remarried, becoming the 3rd wife of Samual Conway, a wealthy landowner in the area.

The home was originally located on Olive, (across from the Faust Park entrance) before being relocated to Faust Historic Village.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>***<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The Faust Historic Village is a St. Louis County park that was developed on on a tract of land that once belonged to the second governor of Missouri, Frederick Bates, who had acquired about 1,000 acres of land in 1808-09 when he was Secretary for the Upper Louisiana Territory. Bates was elected Missouri’s second Governor in 1824 and died the next year. Bates’ Thornhill Estates was acquired by Leicester Busch Faust and his wife Mary, who donated the 100 acres of land for development of the park, in 1968, and Mary later provided several more acres at her death in 1996, which nearly doubled the size of the park.

A section of the park now houses the Faust Historic Village, a collection of buildings that were moved from other locations and preserved at this site. The collection includes 4 residences, and 7 other buildings, including two barns, a carriage house, a blacksmith shop, and two smokehouses, all dating between 1840 and 1888. The Carriage house was relocated from Woodland (also called Jennings), Missouri and all of the other were relocated from the Chesterfield area. The village represents the architecture and lifestyle that were common in the 1880’s. There is a brochure for self-guided tours, and there is no charge to visit Faust Park.

Address:
Faust Park
15185 Olive Blvd.
Chesterfield, MO
Phone: 314-615-8328
Original Location: N 38° 39.786 W 090° 32.442

Type of move: Inside City

Building Status: Public

Related Website: [Web Link]

How it was moved: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ornith visited Conway House, Chesterfield, MO 9/2/2013 ornith visited it
Queens Blessing visited Conway House, Chesterfield, MO 7/4/2011 Queens Blessing visited it

View all visits/logs