By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Davis House, Chesterfield, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Queens Blessing
N 38° 39.946 W 090° 32.403
15S E 714024 N 4282559
Quick Description: The Davis house is a two-story structure with a small porch.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/3/2011 1:17:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMBY3X
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Davis house was built in the 1840s, on a lot that was originally owned by John Long, one of the area's earliest settlers. The structure was originally constructed as a two story log building, with many later alterations and architectural updates. It was purchased (around 1853) by Lucinda and Ben Townsend, for use as their "country home" when they desired a break from living in St. Louis, where Ben worked. A year after purchasing the home, Ben died and Lucinda was left with considerable debt; she had little opportunity to support herself and by 1870 she and her children sold their St. Louis property and moved to the farm but eventually her funds ran out and she sold the farm also. It was sold several more times before it was donated to St. Louis County.


The Davis house was moved from its original location in Bellefontaine (also known as Hilltown), at Olive and Chesterfield Parkway, where it had been the home of the owners of Rinkle’s Market. When the structure was moved and reconstructed in Faust Park, the workers noted that the original construction of the log home was done in a technique that is rare for this area, called square notching.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>***<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The Faust Historic Village is a St. Louis County park that was developed on on a tract of land that once belonged to the second governor of Missouri, Frederick Bates, who had acquired about 1,000 acres of land in 1808-09 when he was Secretary for the Upper Louisiana Territory. Bates was elected Missouri’s second Governor in 1824 and died the next year. Bates’ Thornhill Estates was acquired by Leicester Busch Faust and his wife Mary, who donated the 100 acres of land for development of the park, in 1968, and Mary later provided several more acres at her death in 1996, which nearly doubled the size of the park.

A section of the park now houses the Faust Historic Village, a collection of buildings that were moved from other locations and preserved at this site. The collection includes 4 residences, and 7 other buildings, including two barns, a carriage house, a blacksmith shop, and two smokehouses, all dating between 1840 and 1888. The Carriage house was relocated from Woodland (also called Jennings), Missouri and all of the other were relocated from the Chesterfield area. The village represents the architecture and lifestyle that were common in the 1880’s. There is a brochure for self-guided tours, and there is no charge to visit Faust Park.

Address:
Faust Park
15185 Olive Blvd.
Chesterfield, MO
Phone: 314-615-8328
Original Location: N 38° 44.421 W 090° 13.589

Type of move: City to City

Building Status: Public

Related Website: [Web Link]

How it was moved: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ornith visited Davis House, Chesterfield, Missouri 9/2/2013 ornith visited it
Queens Blessing visited Davis House, Chesterfield, Missouri 7/4/2011 Queens Blessing visited it
kJfishman visited Davis House, Chesterfield, Missouri 7/26/2009 kJfishman visited it

View all visits/logs