Stony Dell Resort, Arlington, Missouri
N 37° 54.682 W 091° 58.627
15S E 589915 N 4196474
Quick Description: The remains of the old Stony Dell Resort in Arlington, Missouri is part of the ghost town.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/1/2011 8:38:56 PM
Waymark Code: WMBXKQ
Although Arlington existed before automobile travel became widespread, much of the town was built in the 1930-1940’s, during the heyday of travel on the old historic Route 66, since Arlington was conveniently located right on that famous highway. Arlington was home to Stony Dell Resort, one of the busiest destination resorts in Missouri at the time. The movie star Mae West visited the resort on at least one occasion. Stony Dell was located a short drive from nearby Ft. Leonard Wood military base and was a popular hangout for the troops on weekends.
Activities at Stony Dell included a large swimming pool, tennis, dancing, boating, fishing, a restaurant, service station, bus stop, and a Justice of the Peace. In 1939 ten cabins were available for rent ($1-$2 per night). One swimming pool was fed by an Artesion well and the water was quite cold. The resort was so popular, the Highway Patrol was on hand to direct traffic on some days. Church groups often used the resort for retreats.
By 1946, Arlington was beginning to shrink, becoming very quiet, since much of Route 66 had been re-routed to make travel faster, and in 1967, most of the resort was razed in anticipation of the construction of the four-lane highway that replaced Route 66. Once the town of Arlington was bypassed by the highway, it became a ghost town.