By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

"L & N" Caboose - Elkmont, AL
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Dulcimoore
N 34° 55.713 W 086° 58.402
16S E 502432 N 3865119
Quick Description: This caboose is reported to be Seaboard Coast Line SCL 01139/SBD 021139 painted as a Louisville & Nashville (L&N) caboose, on display next to the old Depot now used as community center.
Location: Alabama, United States
Date Posted: 6/26/2011 10:09:56 PM
Waymark Code: WMBWCH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 5

Long Description:
This caboose is reported to be Seaboard Coast Line SCL 01139/SBD 021139 painted as an L&N caboose. This caboose is listed in the caboose reference work "Captive Cabeese in North America" by Roger Kirkpatrick.

Here is a photo of it in its former paint scheme and showing the other side of the caboose. (visit link)

The Cabooses in Alabama site also indicates that the cab is SCL 01139. (scroll to the Limestone County entry) (visit link)

The Seaboard Coast Line acquired L&N and a few other lines, then at a later date the various railroad holdings were consolidated and the railway became known as Seaboard System. This is where the SBD 021139 numbering came into the picture.

This caboose is sited next to the old L & N Depot, which has found new life as Elkmont's community center. The caboose is locked, but well-lit, and peeking through the windows was possible.

Elkmont is the midway point of the 10.2 mile Richard Martin Trail, a Rails-to-Trails project, and is just one mile north of a Civil War Battle site.

text from marker:

"Tenn. and Ala. Central Railroad

The Tennessee and Alabama Central Railroad reached Elkmont in the fall of 1859. By 1862, the Union army controlled North Alabama and the railroad, an important supply line from Nashville to Chattanooga and Atlanta. 1.1 miles south of this spot is the site of one of the bloodiest land battles in Alabama at Sulphur Creek Trestle, part of the Sept. 1864 raids of C.S.A. General N.B. Forrest. The rail line became the Nashville & Decatur Railroad in 1866. The Louisville & Nashville Railroad had control by 1871, and in 1887, built the existing depot. The L&N served this area many years, bringing perishable goods, mail, providing transportation and export of cotton. L&N became part of the seaboard system in 1982. The line was abandoned in April 1986.

- Erected by Elkmont Town Council & Limestone County Historical Society. 2005"

text from marker reverse:

"Elkmont, Alabama

The earliest settlers to this area moved across the Chickasaw boundary before 1810 and established the Sims and New Garden settlements. The area came to be known as Elkmont, for the once abundant elk, the Elk River and the "mount" on which it sat. It began to flourish with the completion of the Tennessee and Alabama Central Railroad in 1859. The name of the Fort Hampton post office, established in 1859, was changed to Elkmont in 1866. Elkmont grew to be a commerce center for North Limestone County and was incorporated on March 28, 1873. The first high school in Limestone County was established here in 1912. Today, Elkmont's converted railroad bed welcomes visitors to connect with the past as it passes through a Civil War battle site to the south and a covered bridge to the north.

- Erected by Elkmont Town Council & Limestone County Historical Society. 2005"
Current Use:
Static Display


Type Of Caboose: Cupola, "Standard"

Visit Instructions:
Please visit the location of the caboose, brake van, or guard van, provide visit details through photo or narrative.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Train Cabooses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.