By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Soldiers Cemetery Confederate Memorial - Quincy, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 30° 35.307 W 084° 34.248
16R E 732930 N 3386506
Quick Description: This Confederate Memorial is located in the Soldiers Cemetery located within the Eastern Cemetery in Quincy, Florida, USA.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 6/19/2011 7:34:27 AM
Waymark Code: WMBT4C
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 1

Long Description:
Memorial Inscription:

[Emblem: Sons of Confederate Veterans]

Finley's Brigade, Camp 1614,
Sons of Confederate Veterans
Restored the Historic Iron Fence
& Planted This Marker On This
Ground In Memory Of
The Gallant Men Buried Here.
Dedicated April 10, 2010

An historical marker at the site reads:

"Gadsden County and the town of Quincy served the war effort of the Confederate States of America in many ways. Quincy served as a crossroads and a military center of activity through the four years of conflict. As a military center and commissary, everything from socks to beef were provided the units. In times of emergency hospitals were established in public buildings, churches and private homes. The needs of the sick, wounded and dying were tended by the Ladies Aid Society which in April 1868 became the Ladies Confederate Memorial Association. Soldiers Cemetery was established early in the war years for a final resting place for those who had no family here or were too far from home to be returned to their loved ones. The Ladies Memorial Association worked hard to preserve the memory of the Southern Soldier even though most of the markers and names of those buried here were lost. For years, in the springtime, the association held Confederate Memorial Day ceremonies at this site. Mrs. John Lawrence, President of the association from 1892-1900, raised $1,200 to erect the first iron fence around this Soldiers Cemetery."

The following additional information was found on the internet:

"Defined by a wrought iron fence the greater part of which appears to have been made at a local smithy, Soldiers Cemetery is a portion of the Eastern Cemetery of the City of Quincy, in Gadsden County, Florida. Inside the perimeter which runs approximately 50 feet east/west by 116 feet north/south, are only two markers and a centrally located planting featuring a date palm tree. One marker is situated near the middle of the eastern side of the fence and bears the name and birth and death dates of David R. Roe, a Confederate veteran. The other marker is located a few feet inside of the only gate, which is situated in the middle of the south side of the fence. Turned sideways to that entrance it is in the form of a small and ordinary headstone and says simply: "Unknown. C.S.A. 1861.-65. That terse marker stands as the only tribute to an unknown number of Confederate Soldiers who died at Quincy during... and possibly after... the War Between the States.

During that long-ago war, Quincy was for a time the site of the headquarters for the District of Middle Florida and South Georgia (which ran from the Apalachicola River to the Suwannee River in Florida, and as far north as Sumter County, Georgia (the county seat is Americus). Camp Lamar Cobb, where a number of Confederate units from South Georgia and North Florida were organized and "stationed" at various times during the war, was located just south of Quincy. No railroad connected Florida to Georgia till the last month of the war, but the nearby interconnected Apalachicola, Chattahoochee and Flint River system did continue to provide a substantial transportation connection. Protected from Union intervention by Confederate artillery batteries commanded from the district headquarters in Quincy, those rivers were plied by steamships throughout the war. In fact, the history of the political decisions that in mid-1863 brought the Georgian, General Howell Cobb, to command the newly created district that was comprised of parts of the two states, rather clearly indicates that protection of Georgia from within Florida, and particularly protection of that river transportation hub, was at its core. Cobb's appointment to the post clearly reflected the commercial interests of Columbus, Georgia, an important South Georgia town for which the Chattahoochee was the life's blood... and special exemptions from the new Confederate draft laws were made so that men from South Georgia who would otherwise have been conscripted, were allowed to join new units designated for the protection of this region, as volunteers.

A Florida railroad from Jacksonville was completed to within two miles of Quincy in 1861. Though the Jacksonville and Cedar Keys terminuses of that railroad were in Union hands during much of the war, its connection from Quincy to Gainesville within the state was vital to the Confederacy. That connection was only briefly interrupted... during the Federal Florida Campaign of 1864 which was crushed decisively at Olustee. That battle was fought, literally, on that railroad. The Confederate forces from Georgia and Florida which fought there were under the command of the Florida general who also just happened also to control that railroad as the only one of its major owners who was a Southerner and remained in the South during the war... General Joseph Finegan. Though the cattle had to be driven across a short unconnected stretch from near Madison to Valdosta, that railroad was a lifeline that was critical to conveying the vast amounts of Florida beef that did much to sustain both the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of Tennessee during the last year and a half or so of the war, and besides that it enabled the tiny number of thinly stretched Confederate troops within Florida to concentrate quickly to respond anywhere in the main inhabited portion of the state when there was a threat from far-ranging Union forces carried by sea.

More importantly in connection with this cemetery, Quincy was a kind of junction between rail and river where there was a Confederate hospital for ill and injured soldiers from the surrounding area, and for at least the final year or so of the war some recovering battle casualties both from within the state and from more distant areas of the conflict seem to have been treated there as well. In the all-too-many cases where medical care could not prevail, this plot of hard red clay on the east side of Quincy became the final resting place for an unknown number of Confederate soldiers whose names and other identifying information may have once been recorded and known... but if such record once existed, it has has long since vanished."

-- Source

Date Installed or Dedicated: 4/10/2010

Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: Sons of Confederate Veterans

Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Confederate

Rating (1-5):

Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes

Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Civil War Monuments and Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.