The Aldermanbury Conduit - Love Lane, London, UK
N 51° 30.979 W 000° 05.586
30U E 701684 N 5711250
Quick Description: A blue plaque to commemorate the supply of drinking water.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/18/2011 2:43:05 AM
Waymark Code: WMBRQX
The plaque reads:
"The Aldermanbury / Conduit / Stood in this Street / Providing Free / Water / 1471-18th Century"
The Aldermanbury Conduit, installed in 1471, was one of 15 in the City that had been installed in the 400 years prior to the Great Fire in 1666.
Despite being damaged in the fire it was rebuilt and functioned into the 18th century. The conduit supplied free water to the City’s residents in the Guildhall area for over five centuries. Householders would collect water from the conduit or be supplied by Water-bearers.
The Blue Plaque was proposed by The Worshipful Company of Water Conservators.
Text source: (visit link