26th North Carolina Regiment Monument - Gettysburg, PA
N 39° 50.083 W 077° 15.276
18S E 307075 N 4411844
Quick Description: No regiment on either side at Gettysburg suffered more casualties than the 26th North Carolina. This monument, erected in 1985, pays tribute to them.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 6/10/2011 4:11:56 PM
Waymark Code: WMBPMJ
This commemorative monument constructed in 1985 falls outside the period of significance of the historic district but is still a contributing structure as it has an association with the theme of the park. In fact, it is probably the youngest object in the park with such a designation. It marks location of the July 1, 1863 battleline of the 26th NCST in Herbst Woods. Regiment Colonel Burgwyn was mortally wounded near this location.
Erected by the State of North Carolina in 1985, this monument is of polished pink granite or marble with a bronze plaque and a base of stone. Its dimensions are approximately 3 ft. 11 in. x 4 ft. x 3 ft. 7 inches and the base is approximately 49 inches in width with a depth of 49 inches. It is composed of Steel,bronze, granite and concrete. The marker is on Stone-Meredith Avenue facing Herbst Farm Woods, which most people around here refer to as McPherson's (after the owner of the barn along the Lincoln Highway) or Reynolds' Woods (After Maj. Gen. John Reynolds who died up the road a piece). Traveling on Stone-Meredith Road, you'll come to a perfect curve, half way around the curve, traveling south, the monument is on the right or west side of the road. parking is a cinch, just pull to the side on one of the many dirt cutouts.
There are two Monuments to the 26th North Carolina Infantry at Gettysburg, one west of town on Meredith Avenue and the other south of town at the Angle. Both were erected in 1985 by the State of North Carolina and from what I saw virtually identical except for the text on the bronze plaques.
The regiment was commanded by Colonel Henry K. Burgwyn, Jr. until he was killed on July 1st. Captain H.C. Albright then took command. The 26th brought 800 men to the field, with 588 men becoming casualties during the fighting on July 1st. The colors had been shot down fourteen times. Company E was left with twelve men, all but two lightly wounded, and Company F consisted of a single sergeant, Robert Hudspeth.
During the charge on July 3rd 99 more men were lost. Eight more color bearers were killed or wounded. Sergeant Hudspeth and the handful of detached men of Company F he had managed to scrape together all became casualties.
26th North Carolina Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004 in which this monument was added to the NRHP. The monument is designated as structure number MN799.
From the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District nomination form:
Short Physical Description:
Granite measures 3'6"x4'0"x4'8" and bronze tablet measures 2'6"x3'0". Narrative tablet mounted to polished slanted W face. "NORTH CAROLINA" incised in W side of monument.
Long Physical Description:
1. The Historical Marker Database
2. NRHP Narrative
3. Stone Sentinels