Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial - Palmyra, Virginia
N 37° 51.618 W 078° 15.875
17S E 740639 N 4193842
Quick Description: The Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial stand on the courthouse square in historic Palmyra, Virginia.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 6/7/2011 7:35:44 AM
Waymark Code: WMBNT5
The Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial is located in historic Palmyra, Virginia. The monument stands on the courthouse square adjacent to the 1830 Courthouse and the Old Stone Jail which was built in 1828.
The monument consists of a tall column that is inscribed with:
To The Memory of the
Confederate Soldiers of Fluvanna County
One of the cornerstones to the memorial base reads:
Army of Northern Va.
C.G. Snead, Captain
The second cornerstone of the memorial reads:
Maj. D.W. Anderson
Co. K. 44 Va. Inf.
The third memorial cornerstone reads:
The Patriotic Women
of Fluvanna Co. Va.
The Memorial also is flanked by two 12 pound Napoleon Cannons. They were cast in 1862 by the Henry H. Hopper Company of Boston, Massachusetts. Their registry numbers are 72 and 73.
Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Confederate
Related Website: [Web Link]
Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes
Date Installed or Dedicated: Not listed
Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: Not listed
To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.