Putnam’s Stone Cabin
Posted by: fresgo
N 36° 48.161 W 118° 12.003
11S E 392946 N 4073655
Quick Description: Located along the Three Flags Highway (US 395) in Independence, CA.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 5/29/2011 10:21:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMBK8A
This site marks the first settlement in what is now Inyo County. The town of Independence was originally named Putnam's. It would eventually become County Seat. The marker is behind a chain link fence just off the sidewalk next to the Chamber of Commerce and a defunct Bed and Breakfast.
One hundred thirty feet west of this site, Charles Putnam built the first cabin of permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County in August 1861. The building served as a home, trading post, hospital, and “fort” for early settlers, as well as a survival point for travelers. It became the center of the settlement of “Putnam’s”, which five years later took the name “Independence”.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 223
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Eastern California Museum Association, Inc., January 12, 1964.