Font - St James - Spaldwick, Cambs
Posted by: Norfolk12
N 52° 20.508 W 000° 20.778
30U E 680770 N 5802370
Quick Description: A grade 1 listed church at Spaldwick, Cambs
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/16/2011 11:54:34 AM
Waymark Code: WMBFRX
The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but there seems to have been an aisle-less stone church here by the end of the 12th century of which the north wall and small parts of the east wall remain.
To this church a south aisle was added in about 1250. The chancel with the chancel arch were rebuilt in the early 14th century.
The tower was commenced about the middle, and completed together with its spire before the end, of the 14th century. There seems to have been a cessation of work about half-way up the tower which may possibly have been caused by the effects of the Black Death in 1349. It may have been intended to rebuild the nave, for an access door to the roof was provided in the east wall of the tower; this idea was abandoned and, in about 1370, a clearstory was added to the existing wall. At about the same time a porch was built.
The south chapel was built around 1500, when the south aisle and porch were rebuilt. In the 17th century, two buttresses were built onto the north side of the nave; the window between them was altered, and the parapets of the nave were rebuilt.
Details from leaflet inside church
Approximate Age of Artefact: 12th - 14th century
Relevant Website: Not listed
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.