Colfax Passenger Depot - Colfax, CA
Posted by: saopaulo1
N 39° 05.956 W 120° 57.189
10S E 677000 N 4329787
Quick Description: The Colfax station was given The Governor's Historic Preservation Awards in 2006.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 5/9/2011 7:39:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMBDMA
A plaque at the site reads: ""Built in 1905 by Southern Pacific Railroad in what SPRR called the Colonnade style. It is the only remaining depot of this type in Placer County. It was used as a passenger depot until 30 April, 1971.
This structure replaced the original central pacific depot, constructed in 1865. It included the Western Union Telegraph office, Wells Fargo Express office and a restaurant. It was destroyed by a fire Tuesdau morning, 26 September, 1905.
The station was the terminus for the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad from 1876 to 1942. The NCNG hauled gold, lumber, fruit and passengers to the main line of the Transcontinental Railroad."
The Governor's Historic Preservation Awards
Number of award plaques:: no
Sites web address: [Web Link]
Type of awarded site: Single building
Other type. Please explain: Not listed
Tell us about your visit and take at least one picture of the site.