Mosteiro de Leça do Balio - Matosinhos, Portugal
Posted by: razalas
N 41° 12.601 W 008° 37.431
29T E 531534 N 4562139
Quick Description: [ENG] Monastery of Leça Balio, located in the village of Leça do Balio. [PT] Mosteiro de Leça do Balio, localizado na freguesia de Leça do Balio.
Location: Porto, Portugal
Date Posted: 4/6/2011 6:04:22 AM
Waymark Code: WMB50D
This site's religious origins date back to the 10th century when a mixed convent for both nuns and monks was founded by the Order of St. Benedict and dedicated to Salvador. In the 12th century, the monastery was donated to the Order of the Hospital by queen Teresa simultaneously acquiring hunting rights. These were subsequently confirmed by king Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, and his successors.
Major construction work was carried out in the 14th century by Brother Estevão Vasques Pimentel resulting in the monastery that has survived until today. Its gothic appearance takes on a defensive nature given the battlements and the tall, quadrangular tower representing a good example of artistic transition from Romanesque to Gothic. After this rebuilding, the church was rededicated to Our Lady of Incarnation. In 1372, the church hosted the royal wedding between king Fernando and Leonor Teles.
From: (visit link
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Mosteiro de Leça do Balio
Leça do Balio
Matosinhos, Porto Portugal
Religious affiliation: Catolica
Date founded/constructed: 10th century
Web Site: [Web Link]
Status of Use: Converted to Other Use
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.