Moran Municipal Generation Station - Burlington, Vermont
Posted by: Vermontish
N 44° 28.930 W 073° 13.426
18T E 641249 N 4926963
Quick Description: Former municipal power plant
Location: Vermont, United States
Date Posted: 3/29/2011 10:11:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMB368
Built in 1955 as a coal-burning plant, it was repeatedly modified over the years to burn oil, natural gas and wood chips at one time or another. It was named after Burlington's Mayor J. Edward Moran in 1962.
It was closed in 1984, replaced by a more efficient wood chip burning facility elsewhere in the city.
This lakefront property (not the structure) is presently used by a community sailing center; there is an effort in the city to rehab the structure for multiple use, such as a recreation center which could include an indoor ice-climbing facility (more here).