Switzer Covered Bridge
Posted by: Wallyum
N 38° 15.235 W 084° 45.130
16S E 696682 N 4236376
Quick Description: The only surviving covered bridge in Franklin County.
Location: Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 3/25/2011 4:18:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMB20K
"Franklin County's only covered bridge spans North Elkhorn Creek and is 120 ft. long and 11 ft. wide. It was built by George Hockensmith circa 1855. Each entrance has a sawtooth edge; the lattice is pinned with trunnels (treenails). Restored in 1906 by Louis Bower. Closed to traffic in 1954. This bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1974.
(Reverse) Covered Bridges - Covered bridges were first built in the 1790s but did not become widely popular until after 1814. They were covered to protect them from the weather. At one time there were more than 400 covered bridges in Ky. The timbered spans have played a romantic role in our history. Some were destroyed during the Civil War. The remaining ones are a nostalgic link with the past."
Marker Name: Switzer Covered Bridge
Marker Location: Roadside
Type of Marker: Bridge
Marker Number (for official markers): 1571
Group(s) Responsible for placing Marker:
Kentucky Historical Society
Kentucky Department of Highways
A picture of the site or anything specific to the text on marker.