By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Hightower Building - Oklahoma City, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hamquilter
N 35° 28.075 W 097° 31.177
14S E 634318 N 3925942
Quick Description: The Hightower Building is the last remaining Classical Revival skyscraper in the Oklahoma City area.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 3/14/2011 8:00:24 PM
Waymark Code: WMAZ9N
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 2

Long Description:
At the northwest corner of Main Street and N. Hudson, there originally stood a three-story building, constructed in 1920 and known as the Shops Building. In 1929, this building was bought by F. P. Johnson, a successful businessman and President of the First National Bank & Trust of Oklahoma City. He contracted with architects, Hawk & Parr to design a seven-story skyscraper tower to sit on the three story building. The result was today's ten-story Hightower Building. The ground floor is storefronts, with display windows and cloth awnings. The main entrance is central on the east elevation. It opens onto a large marble-clad lobby. A central elevator shaft with four elevators still uses elevator operators, the last remaining manual elevators in Oklahoma City at the time of nomination to the Register.

The three-story base to this building is stone-clad, with a wide stone band separating the second and third floors. The windows on these floors are "Chicago-style" - three windows with the end ones double-hung sashes and the center window fixed. (During the 1980s when air-conditioning was added to the building, all wood-framed double-hung windows were changed to metal-frame fixed windows.)

The seven-story tower added in 1929 is a concrete and steel framed skyscraper clad in brick. A wide stone entablature separate the base from the tower, on which is engraved "MAIN" and "HUDSON" at the respective corners. The tower shaft is separated into three bays on the east and south elevations by brick and stone pilasters. A double-row of stone accentuates the vertical lines of the building. The windows on levels four through ten are set in pairs of single windows in the center bays, with single windows in the corner bays.

A stone beltcourse runs around the east and south elevations between the ninth and tenth floors. Decorative stone trim adorns the roof line.

In 1959, the Johnson family purchased a three-story building adjacent to the west which was built in 1925. The interior and exterior of this building was remodeled to match the Hightower design and the addition blends perfectly.

The building is occupied today by many company offices and the resurgence of the downtown area can only lead to continued success for this building.
Street address:
105 N. Hudson
Oklahoma City, OK US
73102


County / Borough / Parish: Oklahoma County

Year listed: 2002

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineeering

Periods of significance: 1925-1949

Historic function: Commerce/Trade

Current function: Commerce/Trade

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.