The Oglethorpe Monument - St. Augustine, FL
N 29° 53.702 W 081° 17.973
17R E 471078 N 3307191
Quick Description: The Oglethorpe Monument is an obelisk located in the Oglethorpe Battery Park in St. Augustine, Florida, USA.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/12/2011 7:31:16 PM
Waymark Code: WMAYKM
This coquina obelisk was dedicated on March 20, 1938. It is located in the Davis Shores area on Anastasia Island. It is located on the site where troops from the British colonies of Georgia and South Carolina, under the command of James Oglethorpe, set up their siege guns in 1740 where the monument now stands. The troops had hoped to capture Spanish Florida but failed.
From the Oglethorpe Battery Park - Inspection 12/12/88:
"The site is marked with a hewn coquina shell obelisk rising from a square-in-plan base. The base has bronze tablets set in all four sides. The south and east tablets are secured with bronze lag bolts, the other two are held in place with special flat head screws.
Tablet text follows:
West tablet - Site of El Pozo. Main battery with which General Oglethorpe shelled Castillo de San Marcos during his siege of St. Augustine, June-July 1740. This monument erected by the St. Augustine Historical Society and Institute of Science.
South tablet - Governor Manuel de Montiano made wise defence - city's inhabitants and garrison crowded in the fort faced starvation until relief eluded the English blocade.
East tablet - This park is property of St. Augustine Historical Society and Institute of Science. AD 1938.
North tablet - Besieging forces including Georgia and Carolina provincial militia, Indians and English fleet failed to reduce City after 29 days siege and withdrew."