The 303rd Station Hospital was a WWII hospital in the grounds of Lilford Park at Lilford Hall in September 1943 as a 750 bed hospital then later after D-Day a 1500 bed hospital. The hospital is described in detail here visit link
where Frances Nunn (Greenan) relates her experiences.
Visible from afar, Lilford Hall is a majestic building. It stands in 350 acres and is part of the parish of Lilford-cum-Wigsthorpe and Thorpe Achurch. The south front we can see dates to 1635, when the house was built for William Elmes. The north wing was added in 1656 and enlarged in 1858. Sir Thomas Powys bought Lilford Hall in 1711.
There are nine bays to the front and a row of thirteen chimneys. The entrance hall was designed by Flitcroft and the arms of Elmes can be seen in the courtyard.
An extract from the official website describes this important house:
'Lilford Hall is a Grade 1 listed "stately home" with 100 rooms, and is considered by the UK Government as of outstanding architectural and historic interest. In particular, the Jacobean house built in 1635 is considered as of considerable significance, and Henry Flitcroft's Georgian alterations and additions in the 1740s are of a similar status.
Lilford Hall remained empty for around 50 years after the last Baron Lilford in residence died in 1949, and in consequence the Hall has slowly deteriorated over that time, and indeed now has numerous holes in the roof.
If you wish to help in the restoration, please consider buying a plot of land with royal connections in the 250 year old Walled Garden at Lilford, and become a SQUIRE. Our intention is that 100% of these funds will be used towards the restoration of Lilford Hall (in otherwords no administration expenses).
A comprehensive plan to repair and restore the Hall is in place to secure its future for the next 200 years. The extensive restoration plans can be viewed on this website.
This 500 page website also gives a history of the Hall, details of the Families who have lived at the Hall, numerous photographs related to the Hall, and a history of the Park including its' use as a WW II hospital.'
Wikipedia also has an interesting article:
'Grade 1 listed Lilford Hall is located in Eastern Northamptonshire, south of Oundle and north of Thrapston. The Hall has been home of Lord Lilford since 1635 and has also served as nurse's quarters for USAAF 303rd Station Hospital during WWII. Lilford Hall and the associated parkland of 350 acres is located north-west of the village of Lilford cum Wigsthorpe.
The hall was built around 1635 and alterations were made in the 18th Century by Henry Flitcroft for Thomas Powys. His grandson was created the first Lord Lilford by William Pitt, and Lilford Hall remained the family home until the mid-1940s when it was sold to pay death duties of the fifth Lord Lilford. The Family however retained their estate of Bank Hall, Bretherton, Lancashire, which they used as a summer house in the late 19th century.
Thomas Littleton Powys, 4th Baron Lilford (18 March 1833 - 17 June 1896), was a famous ornithologist. Lilford was a founder of the British Ornithologists' Union in 1858 and its President from 1867 until his death. He was also the first President of the Northamptonshire Natural History Society. Lilford travelled widely, especially in the Mediterranean Region and his extensive collection of birds was maintained in the grounds of Lilford Hall. His aviaries featured birds from around the globe, including rheas, kiwis, Pink-headed Ducks and even a pair of free-flying Lammergeiers. He was responsible for the introduction of the Little Owl into England in the 1880s.
The seventh Lord Lilford bought back Lilford Hall and Park and for 20 years the restocked aviaries, containing more than 350 birds of 110 species had been open to the public. In the autumn of 1990 Lilford park was closed to the public, and the Hall and Park is now owned by the Micklewright family.
Lilford Hall and Park was the subject of the 27 January 1900 issue of Country Life Illustrated, and also a location for the BBC television series By the Sword Divided made in the 1980s.'