Anna Dummett - St. Augustine, FL
N 29° 53.274 W 081° 18.679
17R E 469940 N 3306404
Quick Description: A blue plaque honoring Anna Dummett is located at the Garcia-Dummett House, now known as the St. Francis Inn, in St. Augustine, Florida, USA.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 2/6/2011 11:09:41 AM
Waymark Code: WMAP1E
The blue plaque for Anna Dummett was created as part of The Great Floridians 2000 Program. According to the Florida Department of State website about this program (visit link)
: "The Great Floridians 2000 program was designed to recognize individuals who distinguished themselves through their philanthropy, public service or personal or professional service, and who have enhanced the lives of Florida's citizens. In 1998, the Florida Department of State and the Florida League of Cities, to help celebrate the approaching turn of the century, initiated the program to dedicate a special series of commemorative plaques in cities throughout the state. These plaques recognized "Great Floridians 2000" by honoring men and women who made significant contributions to the history and culture of our state."
"Anyone could nominate an individual to be designated a Great Floridian 2000 by submitting a Great Floridians 2000 application. These applications were periodically reviewed by the appointed Great Floridians 2000 Committee, a group of seven distinguished historians from throughout Florida. The applications included the listing of an historical property where the plaque was affixed that was associated with the Great Floridian. Once the decisions were made, nominators were notified and advised on how and where to purchase the commemorative plaque."
The following is a biography of Anna Dummett posted on the Great Floridians 2000 Program website (visit link): "Anna Maria Dummett, was born in Barbados, Bahamas in 1819 to English parents. In 1830 they came to Florida where they occupied a sugar plantation near present-day Titusville. As the Seminole Wars accelerated, the family moved to St. Augustine. In 1845 she inherited the Garcia-Dummett House (now the St. Francis Inn) and operated it as a boarding house. During the Civil War, she cared for the children of her brother-in-law General Hardee, volunteered as a nurse and may have been a Confederate spy. In 1866 she returned to St. Augustine and helped found the ladies Memorial Association, serving as president until her death in 1899. She helped establish a Confederate memorial on the Plaza. When the United Daughters of the Confederacy formed a chapter in St. Augustine, the women named it after Anna Dummett. Her Great Floridian plaque is located at the Garcia-Dummett House/St. Francis Inn, 279 St. George Street, St. Augustine."