By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Capitol-Lincoln Terrace Historic District - Oklahoma City, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hamquilter
N 35° 29.307 W 097° 30.147
14S E 635841 N 3928243
Quick Description: This District was heavily influenced by the Oklahoma "oil boom" prosperity.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 2/2/2011 6:51:31 PM
Waymark Code: WMANAR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
After Oklahoma Statehood in 1907, and the moving of the capital to Oklahoma City in 1910, the beautiful Capitol building was constructed in 1917. Immediately, there was interest in developing the area around the capitol into prime residential neighborhoods. John J. Culbertson, who was one of those who donated land for the capitol building itself, began developing south and southeast of the capitol. By the end of 1918, two homes had been built in this district. Seventy-five more were built in the 1920s with additional homes in the 1930s.

The Capitol-Lincoln Terrace District includes the 600 and 700 blocks of N. E. 14th to N. E. 23rd Streets. There are 153 contributing buildings to this district. The styles range from Spanish to the Tudor and Georgian Colonial styles. All the homes are brick, with the exception of the Governor's Mansion which is stone.

The area became attractive to political leaders and the newly rich oilmen from the wildly successful oil field discoveries in the 1920s. The District is exceptional because of the number of former Oklahoma leaders who lived and still live here. Three former governors, General W. S. Key who commanded the 45th Infantry during World War II, plus a mayor and many early Oklahoma leaders. The area came to represent the prosperous era of the Roaring 20s and the Oil Boom in Oklahoma. Later, in the 1970s, with the growth of the medical complex to the south, many doctors and medical personnel became residents in this area.

The coordinates given above are at the residence at 601 N. E. 18th Street, an example of the Spanish style residence here. Other photos in the gallery show the variety of two-story brick homes in this District. [Information taken from the Historic District nomination.]

This District was placed on the National Register in 1976 (#76001569).
Street address:
600 - 700 blocks of N. E. 14th St. to N. E. 23rd St.
Oklahoma City, OK US
73105


County / Borough / Parish: Oklahoma County

Year listed: 1976

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Arichitecture/Engineeering, Person

Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Historic function: Domestic

Current function: Domestic

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.