Old Methodist Churchyard - Montgomery, Texas
Posted by: linkys
N 30° 23.345 W 095° 41.843
15R E 240817 N 3364988
Quick Description: Dating from the 1840's this cemetery contains the site of the very first Methodist Church in Montgomery, as well as many pioneers, war veterans and important early citizens of the town.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 1/28/2011 6:48:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMAM44
The best history of the cemetery comes from the Texas Historical marker placed by the cemetery. it reads as follows:
"In Jan. 1839, the Rev. Isaac Strickland organized a Methodist Church whose members soon built a log meetinghouse on this site donated by founders of the town of Montgomery. The churchyard came into use for burials during the 1840s. When Pastor G. W. Rabb was dying in 1851, he requested burial beneath the altar of the frame church then being built to replace the log cabin. His grave and a monument commemorating pioneer circuit riders now (1976) mark the original Methodist Church site. The church and the nearby parsonage, which is said to have been the first Methodist parsonage built in Texas, were relocated in 1908. A tabernacle later erected beside the cemetery has also been demolished. A stone in this cemetery commemorates a soldier of the American Revolution who helped settle this county and died here. Churchyard burials included veterans of the War of 1812, the Texas War for Independence, Mexican War, and Civil War, as well as many other pioneers, state and county officials, merchants, ministers, and physicians. In some of the unmarked graves are travelers who died here among strangers. Although a new cemetery opened in 1868, this one was also used until no space remained."
Many of the stones in the cemetery are difficult to read or have been lost over time. One of the fancier ones reads:
Erected in the memory of Dr. Warren Nobles
by his affectionate wife ??? A. Nobles.>br>
Dr. Warren Nobles
Was born in
Pitt Co. N.C.
Dec 27, 1802
Departed this life in
Sept. 28, 1878
Aged 75 ys 0 mos 1 day
Note that there is a green sign on one corner of the fence surrounding the cemetery that reads: Montgomery Old Cemetery Founded 1838.