Posted by: angellica
N 53° 18.217 W 001° 06.934
30U E 625570 N 5907701
Quick Description: Worksop Priory (formally The Priory Church of Saint Mary and Saint Cuthbert, Worksop) is a Church of England parish church and former priory in the town of Worksop, Nottinghamshire, part of the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/21/2011 5:45:13 AM
Waymark Code: WMAJFB
The initial land grant and monies to establish the Augustinian priory were made by William de Lovetot in 1103. In the 14th century the Tickhill Psalter was produced by then prior, John de Tickhill.
The priory was dissolved on the orders of Henry VIII on November 15, 1539. The property was granted to Francis Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury on condition that the Earl should provide a glove for the right hand of the Soveriegn at the coronation. This tradition continues to this day.
Over time most of the former monastic buildings were plundered for their stone, however the nave of the church was saved for use as a parish church, and the early 14th century gatehouse was later used as a school. Extensive restoration and enlargements of the church began in the mid 19th century and continued through the 20th century.
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Worksop Priory
Worksop, Nottinghamshire UK
Religious affiliation: Christian
Date founded/constructed: 1103
Status of Use: Acitvely Used
Web Site: Not listed
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.