Charles Richards House
Posted by: enviroguy
N 43° 50.187 W 066° 06.977
19T E 731837 N 4857750
Quick Description: A brick Queen Anne Revival style home build by entrepreneur, Charles Richards in late 1800's
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/20/2011 9:52:12 AM
Waymark Code: WMAJ9D
The Charles Richards House is a brick, two-and-a-half storey, Queen Anne Revival style building. It was built between 1893-1895 and is one of only two brick Queen Anne homes in Nova Scotia.
The house, a private home, is an excellent example of Queen Anne Revival architecture, as revealed in its open veranda with decorative wooden trim and balustrade, elaborately trimmed eaves, and a hipped roof with lower gables. It was also the first brick house to be built in Yarmouth and the exterior remains relatively unaltered since its construction.
Construction of the house began in 1893 and was completed in 1895; built by local carpenter Amos Crosby for druggist Charles C. Richards. He was a founder of the Minard’s Linament Company Ltd. and served as company president for many years.
Between 1942 and 1946 the house was owned by King George VI and was used as a residence for the Canadian Women’s Army Corps while they served at the local Army Training Centre. Following the end of the war the house was sold and between 1946 and 1963 it served as the Yarmouth Public Library.
In 1999 a detailed and award winning restoration of the house began following years of neglect and mistreatment, which brought the property back to its original glory. Located within the heart of the Collins Heritage Conservation District and directly across from the Yarmouth County Museum, the house contributes greatly to the streetscape and the surrounding district.
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Canada
To log a waymark for this category please include a photo of the property taken by you. Tell us what you like about the site and make an observation on some aspect of the visit - history, a detail of the building, the neighbourhood, etc.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.