N 44° 44.634 W 123° 13.373
10T E 482354 N 4954525
Quick Description: This country store was moved from the original town of Suver to Suver Junction.
Location: Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 1/5/2011 1:57:55 PM
Waymark Code: WMAEP5
In 1935,this store was moved to 99-W to capture more business. The building was placed on logs for rollers, and was pulled by tractors. It took a couple days to move it, but business continued all the while. People climbed on and off as it moved across the fields. This was a fortunate move, as in 1942 the army started building Camp Adair about two miles South of it. After the base closed in 1945 business slowed down to what is now more normal. In 1947, the Richards family bought the store from Earl Conkey. The Richards family ran it as a country store/gas station for many years. As newer, bigger grocery stores were built in nearby towns, less and less grocery shopping was done here. So, over the years, Mrs. Richards transformed it into a museum and snack shop. With Mrs. Richards death in 1997, the store was closed permanently. In reading stories about Camp Adair, I came across one describing some of the troops going out on bivouac to Helmick State Park. As they approached the store, one man was told to drop out and get them something to eat that night. He ran in and bought a full roll of balogna, which they hastily wrapped with paper and tied a string around it. Running after his fellow soldiers, that 3-foot long roll of balogna flopped with every step. The string and paper were soon gone, and he was wrestling a slick, very active roll of meat. That night, as they sat in their foxholes, they sliced off chunks of that balogna with their bayonets and talked of home.
Original Location: N 44° 44.648 W 123° 12.507
How it was moved: Wheels / Dolly / Truck
Type of move: Inside City
Building Status: Private
Related Website: [Web Link]
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.