Posted by: heringermr
N 38° 47.801 W 120° 53.646
10S E 682883 N 4296321
Quick Description: California Historical Landmark #143
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 1/2/2011 10:44:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMADY7
In 1887 the State of California purchased the site for a monument to commemorate James Marshall, who in 1848 discovered gold near Coloma. Marshall's discovery started the 'gold rush,' that westward trek of Argonauts that marked a turning point in California history. The figure of Marshall atop the monument is pointing to the place of discovery on the South Fork of the American River.
The plaque on the statue reads:
Erected by the State of California
In Memory of James W. Marshall
whose discovery of gold
January 24, 1848
in the tailrace of Sutter's Mill at Coloma
started the great rush of Argonauts.
Monument unveiled May 3, 1890.
The nearby marker reads:
200th Anniversary of James W. Marshall's Birth
On the occasion of James W. Marshall 200th birthday, the Native Sons of the Golden West rededicate this monument erected in his honor. Born in Hopewell Township, Mercer County, New Jersey to Phillip and Sarah Wilson Marshall on October 8, 1810, he was the oldest of jour children and only male. He arrived in California via Oregon in 1845 where he worked for John Sutter before acquiring a small cattle ranch. In 1846 he served with John C. Fremont during the Bear Flag Revolt. Marshall partnered with Sutter to construct a sawmill where he made the discovery that would cause the cry of "GOLD" to reverberate around the world.
After his discovery of gold in 1848 Marshall found some success operating a ferry, hotel and vineyard but by the 1860s fell on hard times and relocated to Kelsey. At the time of his death August 10th, 1885 Marshall was penniless, living in a small cabin. His body was brought to Coloma for burial. Immediately thereafter, Placerville Parlor #9 of the Native Sons of the Golden West in 1887 successfully advocated for the construction of the monument you see here today, the first such monument erected in California.
Re-dedicated October 8, 2010
by Grand Palor
Native Sons of the Golden West
James L. Shadle, Grand President
Marker Number: 143.00
Marker Name: MARSHALL MONUMENT
County: El Dorado
Has Official CA Plaque: no
Marker Dedication Date: 6/6/1934
Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park, Coloma
Website: [Web Link]
Feel free to post a picture of you at the landmark site, but a photo is not required to log a visit.