By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Four Welsh Poets, Mynydd Bach, Trefenter, Ceredigion, Wales
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Ddraig Ddu
N 52° 17.466 W 004° 02.503
30U E 428951 N 5793926
Quick Description: A monument to four welsh poets on the top of Mynydd Bach. The four poets are J.M Edwards, E Prosser Rhys, B.T Hopkins and T Hughes-Jones
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/31/2010 1:27:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMADCQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 3

Long Description:

The monument stands on top of a hill called Mynydd Bach (Little mountain in English). It commemorates the work of four welsh poets; J.M Edwards, E Prosser Rhys, B.T Hopkins and T Hughes-Jones.

The monument reads:-

Cofeb I Feirdd y Mynnydd Bach

J.M.Edwards 1903-1978

B.T.Hopkins 1891-1981

F Prosser-Rhys 1901-1945

T Hughes-Jones 1895-1966

Edward Prosser-Rhys (1901-1945), journalist, poet and publisher; b. 4 March 1901 at Pentremynydd, Bethel ( Trefenter ), Mynydd Bach, Cards of Elizabeth and David Rees, a blacksmith, from a family of smiths, the family moved later to Morfa Du. As a child he attended Cofadail primary school and proceeded to Ardwyn grammar school (Aberystwyth county school) in 1914. He was there only for some eighteen months as his health broke down and he was at home ill for about three years. Having recovered he went to work at the Welsh Gazette office at Aberystwyth and in 1919 he moved to Caernarfon to the Herald Cymraeg office. He returned to Aberystwyth in 1921 and when Y Faner moved from Denbigh to Aberystwyth in 1923 , he was appointed editor , a position which he held till his death on 6 Febr. 1945. - information from Welsh Biography Online.

B. T. Hopkins (1897-1981), was a little know welsh poet who lived most of his life in Llais Aeron. Some of his work can be found here:- http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/search/6/hopkins/t_tei

J. M. Edwards was a lyricist and poet Libre, some of his works are in a publication called Llais Aeron, No. 289, April 2006, and the Voice of Aeron.

Thomas Hughes-Jones (1895-1966), poet, writer and teacher; b. 23 Jan. 1895 in Tan-yr-allt, his mother's home in the Blaenafon area of Blaenpennal parish, Cards. He was one of the two children and the only son of Rhys Jones, farmer, and his wife, Ann Hughes. He was raised at Cefnhendre Farm, in the same parish, but, on the death of his mother when he was only six years old, his father moved to Blaenaeron Farm. Next to Blaenaeron was Dolebolion , farmed by John Rowlands, a cultured man — a local poet and a master of cynghanedd. Information again taken from Welsh Biography Online with thanks.

This monument was put up as a memorial in 2004 to these poets who made their name in the area, the location being chosen by a decendant of one of the poets.

Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Give the date of your visit and describe your experience. Additional photos and information about the site or poet/author are appreciated.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dead Poets' Society Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Superted visited Four Welsh Poets, Mynydd Bach, Trefenter, Ceredigion, Wales 5/23/2017 Superted visited it