St John the Evangelist church door - Bradford,UK
Posted by: dtrebilc
N 53° 46.230 W 001° 43.980
30U E 583505 N 5958732
Quick Description: This is the main entrance to this church which was built in 1776. The porch was added between 1828 an 1831.
Location: Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/22/2010 12:23:47 PM
Waymark Code: WMA672
The church was originally a proprietary chapel. The architect was John Carr, and it was commissioned by Richard Richardson of Bierley Hall as an estate chapel. It is a grade II* listed building, and is the second oldest, still original, anglican church in Bradford. It was consecrated in 1824.
The hall was about 1.5 miles along Bierley Lane, but has now been demolished. The grounds are accesible and provide pleasant woodland walking. The 620 bus can be taken from the church to the terminus on Bierley Lane, where there is an entrance into the woods. There is also limited parking just beyond the bus terminus.
For those who enjoy geocaching there are 2 caches in the wood.