Gibson County Courthouse ~ Trenton, TN
Posted by: YoSam.
N 35° 58.843 W 088° 56.511
16S E 324932 N 3983553
Quick Description: The 1st courthouse was built 1824, the after county formed. David Crockett commenced the organization of this county. 2nd courthouse, brick, built 1829; then another brick in 1839, which was removed in 1899.
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 11/22/2010 11:59:03 AM
Waymark Code: WMA66Q
County of Courthouse: Gibson County
Text from a Tenn. Historical Commission marker on site:
The Gibson County Courthouse, built in 1899, is the fourth one to have occupied this site. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1824, the year following the organization of the county, a process commenced by David Crockett, who was then a state legislator. The second courthouse, a brick building, was erected in 1829. In 1839, a new brick building was constructed, and it served until its removal in 1899. Notables, such as James K. Polk and Andrew Johnson, spoke at this site.
Other tid-bits of History:
Confederate Gen. Nathan B. Forrest's cavalry brigade captured Trenton, an important stop on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, on December 20, 1862. He and his men occupied the town briefly before riding on toward Union City the next day. Forrest's aide, Capt. Charles W. Anderson, allegedly entered the Gibson County courthouse here, gathered the bonds and oaths of allegiance to the United States that Trenton residents had signed, piled them in the yard, and set them afire.
Trenton is the county seat for Gibson County. The downtown area of the town features Court Square with the county court house as its prime architectural feature. The three red and blond brick court house built in 1899 features a clock tower and a hanging bell. The town itself was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 as the Trenton Historic District with 96 buildings and 520 acres - this collection of homes includes antebellum mansions, quaint cottages, and three tree lined streets. Most of the homes are privately owned, but the restored Freed House is owned and operated by the city. It is open for tours, luncheons and teas (with prior arrangements and by reservations only) --- it is also rented for special events (call the city hall for all Freed House inquiries).
Trenton is the home of "The World's Largest Collection of Veilleuse-Theieres," or night light teapots. These are not your standard teapot; the collection is classified as art. A spout in this collection might be a bobbin of yarn in the hand of a woman, an opening in a man's hat or in the hand of a goddess riding on the back of a leaping dolphin. The collection was donated to the city by former Trentonian, Dr. Frederick Freed. There are 525, no two identical. The teapot are housed in city hall and they may be viewed at any time. For a detailed tour and more information on the teapots, contact the city hall.