Font - St James, Hanslope, Northants
Posted by: Norfolk12
N 52° 06.774 W 000° 49.650
30U E 648759 N 5775821
Quick Description: A fine font in this old church, which has featured several times
on the TV.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/22/2010 4:08:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMA62G
The oldest part of the church is the Chancel dating from about 1160. Before that date a church existed outside the village, towards the present Ivy Farm, Park Road. William Mauduit, to whom Hanslope Manor belonged, applied to have it dismantled and rebuilt on its present site.
Further construction work took place over the next 300 years as evidenced by the 13th Century entrance and 15th Century nave.
The memorial plaque to Edward Hanslope Watts murdered by his gamekeeper when returning home after Sunday Service in July 1912 is placed on the face of the family vault.
St James the Great has the highest spire in Buckinghamshire visible from over 10 miles.The spire originally 206 feet high was struck by lightning in 1804 and had to be rebuilt.
It was rebuilt in 1805 but reduced in height by 20 feet.
It is topped by a weather vane in the shape of an Indian dog with an arrow in its foot relating to an incident that took place whilst the late Squire was serving in the Far East on Government duties.
The then Lord of the Manor, Edward Watts, was shot by his gamekeeper whilst returning from this church with his wife. The gamekeeper, under sentence of dismissal, then shot himself. (His ghost can reputedly still be seen lurking among the radio masts of modern Hanslope Park).
Approximate Age of Artefact: 1160c
Relevant Website: [Web Link]
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.