By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Aldridge Hotel - Shawnee, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hamquilter
N 35° 19.727 W 096° 55.354
14S E 688821 N 3911484
Quick Description: Shawnee's first "skyscraper."
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 11/9/2010 1:32:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMA3B3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Aldridge Hotel located at 20-24 E. 9th Street, on the northwest corner of 9th and Bell Street was the tallest building in Shawnee at the time of its construction in 1929.

It is considered a 10-story building, with the main floor being the lobby and retail businesses, the second level containing a mezzanine above the lobby, and floors three thru eight containing 200 rooms. The ninth floor has special rooms including the governor's suite, and a large, elaborate ballroom. The tenth floor is not visible from the ground. This was a penthouse originally occupied by the building owner, Hilton A. Phillips, until his death in 1938 at the age of 36.

The floors above the second floor were constructed in an L-shape, leaving the northwest corner of the building open, to provide window views from all rooms.

The building is constructed of yellow-brown brick, plain on the upper levels, with Neo-Classical features on the first two levels. The main entrance on the south (9th Street) is quite elaborate with limestone decorative work. The lobby and mezzanine contain much marble. Over the years, businesses such as restaurants, pharmacy, news stand, have occupied the retail areas on the ground level, which had entrances into the lobby as well as outside.

The architect was Albon C. Davis. The building was built by oil man Hilton A. Phillips, during the oil boom of the late 1920s at a cost of $750,000. No expense was too much for Mr. Phillips and this hotel remained a premier attraction through the 1940s. The hotel opened in February 1929 and most civic and social functions in Shawnee were held here in the ballroom and meeting rooms. The hotel was originally named the Hilton Phillips Hotel, until it was sold in 1930 to Aldridge Hotel Company.

In 1994, the U.S. Dept. of Labor closed the building due to the presence of asbestos in the boiler room. It was vacant in 2000 at the time it was placed on the Register.
Street address:
20-24 E. 9th Street
Shawnee, OK US
74801


County / Borough / Parish: Pottawatomie County

Year listed: 2000

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1925-1949, 1950-1974

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic, Industrial/Processing/Extraction

Current function: Vacant, Not in Use

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
The Snowdog visited Aldridge Hotel - Shawnee, OK 8/4/2017 The Snowdog visited it