The Bechyne Rainbow/ Bechynská Duha
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Waupe
N 49° 17.791 E 014° 28.817
33U E 462212 N 5460548
Quick Description: The ferroconcrete bridge over the Luznice river. Železobetonový most pres reku Lužnici.
Location: Jihocesky kraj, Czech Republic
Date Posted: 10/10/2010 5:26:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM9XAM
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 95

Long Description:
EN:

The ferroconcrete bridge over the Luznice river

At the beginning of the 20th century Bechyne was connected with Tábor by the railway but the terminal station was on the left bank of the Lužnice river.
Since the twenties the need of the connection of both banks of the river had become more and more urgent because the old bridge in the village of Zárecí with two-metre wide road and a bearing capacity of thirty quitals had not complied with the increasing transport and industrial requirments. As early as 1922, the administrative committee in Bechyne considered the possibility of building a new bridge and in the end it came to the conclusion that the new bridge would be built in the narrowest place of the Lužnice valley between the terminal railway station and the town. It was Dr. Ing. Eduard Viktora who on 11th September 1924 was charged with the task of designing the new bridge with the prolonged electric railway into the town.
It was A.Kovár who was the chairman of the district administrative committee in Bechyne at the beginning of the construction when a 50% state subsidy was gained.
He thought the construction to be the best example of the town`s self-goverment. Other members of the district administrative committee were: F.Marek, F.Kyrian, J.Dlouhý, J.Studenovský, M.Bílek, K.Plananský.
On 15th November 1925 the Ministry of public works assigned the construction to the Hlava and Dr. Kratochvíl firm. It was to be done according to Eduard Victora`s design.
The district administrative committee became the building contractor, Ing. K.Šiška, the councillor of the ministry of public works, was the main supervisor of the construction.
The implementation of the designed construction became a good opportunity to show the high standard and skill of Czech technicians and craftsmen. Dr. Ing. Janák, the Ministry of Railways, and J.Jakš, Ministry of Finance advisor, gained recognition for speeding up the construction.
About four hundred people were employed on the construction site, among them being fourteen fitters and mechanics, seventeen blacksmiths and locksmiths, fifty-six carpenters and wheelwrights, thirty concrete layers and bricklayers.
The rest of the workers were made up of various occupations.
The speedy and fluent development of the construction has been admired to the present day.
The construction was assigned at the end of 1925. The preparatory works started in May 1926, the arch belts together with the reinforced braces were fixed with concrete at the beginning of December 1926, other concreting works were carried out approximately by the end of 1927 and the construction was completed in the summer of 1928.
The bridge was opened in a festive way on 28th October 1928 to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Republic. At the same time the railway was prolonged to the new railway station and the new approach to the Oparany road was built.
About 2200 m3 of timber for segments and planking, 2500 tons of cement and 500 tons of iron were necessary for the construction. For the concrete, sand from the river Lužnice and gravel from the stone pit Cermák were used. In the course of the construction nobody lost his life and was seriously injured.

The dimensions of the bridge

The bridge consists of the main arch field and side viaducts. The main field is spanned with two arch belts connected by reinforced braces.
The span of the arch is 90 m, the raise is 38 m. The distance between the arch belts at the top is 6m, in the belt 8,25 m.
The span af the adjacent fields is 13,5 m, the top height of the columns is 28 m. The bridge construction is ferroconcrete.
The height of the bridge from the river level is 50 m, the lenghth of the bridge is 203,38 m.
The total costs of five million Czech crowns was divided among the Republic (Czechoslovakia - 50%), the land (Bohemia - 20%) and the town of Bechyne - 30%.
In 1983 the town museum of Bechyne arranged an exhibition about the construction of the bridge in Bechyne. The general public could see a number of photographs and documents showing the remarkable achievement of that time. The municipal office of Bechyne owns a 32 mm documentary film about the construction of the bridge.
The daring arch of the bridge spanning over the deep valley of the river Lužnice has received the name THE BECHYNE RAINBOW in the course of years.

CZ:

Bechynská ”DUHA” - železobetonový most pres Lužnici

Bechyne dosáhla na pocátku našeho století železnicního spojení s Táborem, ale dráha koncí na levém brehu Lužnice.
Od dvacátých let se stále naléhaveji projevuje potreba nového spojení obou brehu reky, když starý železný most v Zárecí s dvoumetrovou jízdní dráhou a nosností do 30 q již nevyhovoval vzrustající potrebe dopravy a prumyslu.
Okresní správní komise v Bechyni uvažovala již od r. 1922 o zpusobu rešení nového mostu a došla k presvedcení postavit nový most ve výši obou rovin mezi železnicním nádražím a mestem, v nejužším míste údolí Lužnice.
A tak bylo 11. zárí 1924 zadáno ing. dr. Ed. Viktorovi vypracování detailního projektu mostu s prodloužením elektrické dráhy pres nový most do mesta.
V dobe prvních prací pro tuto stavbu, zejména získání 50 % státní subvence, byl predsedou Okresní správní komise v Bechyni A. Kovár, který v této stavbe spatroval nejlepší výraz bechynské samosprávy.
Dalšími cleny Okresní správní komise v Bechyni byli: F. Marek, M. Vojta, F. Kirian, J. Dlouhý, J. Studenovský, M. Bílek, K. Plananský.
Ministerstvo verejných prací zadalo stavbu podle projektu Ed. Viktory dne 15.11.1925 firme Hlava a dr. Kratochvíl. Stavebníkem se stala Okresní správní komise, hlavní dozor na stavbe mel rada ministerstva verejných prací ing. K. Šiška.
Provedení navrhované stavby se stalo príležitostí ukázat vyspelost a dovednost ceských techniku a remeslníku.
O urychlení stavby se zasloužili ministerský rada ing. dr. V. Janák, prednosta mostního oddelení ministerstva železnic ing. Laušer a ministerský rada ministerstva financí J. Jakš.
Na stavbe bylo zamestnáno na 400 osob, z toho 14 montéru a strojníku, 17 kováru a zámecníku, 56 tesaru a koláru, 30 betonáru a zedníku, zbytek tvorili ostatní delníci ruzných oboru.
Dodnes budí úžas rychlý a plynulý postup stavby. Stavba byla zadána koncem roku 1925.
S prípravnými pracemi bylo zapocato v kvetnu 1926, obloukové pasy byly i se ztužidly vybetonovány do zacátku prosince 1926, ostatní betonárské práce byly zhruba provedeny do konce roku 1927 a stavba byla dokoncena v léte r. 1928.
Most byl slavnostne otevren 28. ríjna 1928 k 10. výrocí samostatnosti republiky. Soucasne se stavbou mostu byla prodloužena železnicní trat do nového nádraží ve meste a postavena príjezdní silnice pres nový most až k oparanské silnici v Bechyni.
Ke stavbe bylo zapotrebí 2.200 m3 dreva pro skruže a bednení, 2.500 tun cementu a 500 tun železa.
Pro beton byl použit písek z Lužnice a šterk z nedalekého kamenolomu Cermák.
V prubehu celé stavby neprišel nikdo o život a nedošlo ani k žádnému vetšímu úrazu.

Rozmery mostu

Most sestává z hlavního obloukového pole a z postranních viaduktu.
Hlavní pole je preklenuto dvema obloukovými pasy, spojenými ztužidly.
Rozpetí oblouku je 90 m, vzepetí 38 m. Vzdálenost obloukových pasu ve vrcholu je 6 m, v pase 8,25 m.
Rozpetí prilehlých viaduktových polí je 13,50 m, nejvyšší výška sloupu je 28 m.
Mostní konstrukce je železobetonová.
Výška mostu od hladiny reky je 50 m, celková délka mostu je 203,38 m.
Na celkových nákladech stavby 5.000.000 Kc se podílel stát 50 %, zeme 20 % a mesto 30 %.

Length of bridge: 203,38 m.

Height of bridge: The highest point of the bridge is 28m.

What type of traffic does this bridge support?: Motor vehicles, bike, train, hikers.

What kind of gap does this bridge cross?:
river


Date constructed: 1928

Is the bridge still in service for its original purpose?: Yes

Name of road or trail the bridge services: Rainbow

Location:
Bechyne


Visit Instructions:
Please submit a photo(s) taken by you of your visit to the location (non-copyrighted photos only). GPS photos are also accepted with the location in the background, and old vacation photos are accepted. If you are not able to provide a photo, then please describe your visit or give a story about the visit. If the bridge location prevents you from taking a safe photograph, then please do not stop to take the photo. Safety is more important.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Arch Bridges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Monty&Miru visited The Bechyne Rainbow/ Bechynská Duha 2/28/2013 Monty&Miru visited it
dubex visited The Bechyne Rainbow/ Bechynská Duha 4/21/2012 dubex visited it
lukas.ul visited The Bechyne Rainbow/ Bechynská Duha 7/23/2011 lukas.ul visited it
mr.mates visited The Bechyne Rainbow/ Bechynská Duha 12/16/2010 mr.mates visited it

View all visits/logs