Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Arogant
N 49° 44.707 E 013° 22.529
33U E 382963 N 5511558
Quick Description: Coat of Arms of City of Pilsen. Znak mesta Plzne.
Location: Plzensky kraj, Czech Republic
Date Posted: 10/4/2010 1:18:29 PM
Waymark Code: WM9W8J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 88

Long Description:
Mesto Plzen doložene používalo v roce 1433 bílou chrtici. Ta symbolizovala katolické církvi a králi.

K rozšírení znaku došlo v roce krátce po neúspešném husitském obléhání. To Zikmund Lucemburský doplnil na znak velblouda.

K dalšímu doplnení došlo v roce 1466. Papež Pavel II doplnil do plzenskeho znaku dva zlaté papežské klíce na stríbrném poli a ve zlatém poli zbrojnoše, držícího pravou rukou polovinu cerného orla. Dva klíce znamenají vernost katolické církvi, cerná orlice zase kladný vztah k ríšské ríši.

V 15. století si Plzenané doplnili znak o stredový štít. Na štítu je otevrená mestská brána a rytír, který symbolizuje zakladatele mesta Plzne Václava II.
Nad branou je plavovlasá dívka drrící dva prapory - s ceským lvem a svatováclavskou orlicí.

Poslední úprava byla provedena v roce 1578 Rehorem XIII. Do znaku byl pridán andel, který drží znak, nad znak bylo pridáno zelené trojvrší na kterém stojí zlatý kríž doplnený o olivové vetvicky. Na trojvrší je latinský nápis "In hoc signo vinces" - V tomto znaku vítezíš. Za trojvrším jsou dve helmy, halapartna a palcát.

V tomto stavu zustal znak až do dnes. Používá se i ve zjednodušené verzi - pouze znak bez andela a ostatních príkras.



Pilsen inhabitants had already had a greyhound brach in the coat of arms of their town before the year 1433. By the 15th century, people believed that the greyhound brach symbolised faithfulness to the Catholic Church and to the Czech king. At that time, red escutcheon with silver greyhound brach inside it formed the base of the town coat of arms.

The coat of arms was enriched soon after the year 1433.

Then, the Roman emperor Zikmund of Luxembourg added a camel to the coat of arms of the Pilsen citizens. The golden double-hunch camel on a blue ground was supposed to commemorate the feats of Pilsen citizens at the time of an unsuccessful Hussite siege of the West Bohemian metropolis. Current research proved that the original colour of this ground was not green but blue. Soon after the year 1433, our ancestors themselves added a figure of an angel-the-shield-fetcher to their coat of arms.


During the rule of Jiri of Podebrady, Pilsen became a member of the Green-mountain Union. Therefore, supported by the pope curia in Rome, it was in war with the Czech king. To commemorate this faithfulness to Rome against the majority of the Czech nation, the pope Paul II issued a deed that brought two new fields to the two older ones of the coat of arms. Since that time, the Pilsen coat of arms was composed of a square escutcheon.

The two new fields symbolised the pope with his institution and also the relationship of Bohemia to the Roman Empire. There were two upward-aimed golden pope keys, reverse to each other in a silver field, and a rightward looking knight with a sword on his belt. He held a half of a black eagle in his right hand.

In the second half of the 15th century, our ancestors extended the coat of arms themselves once more. This time, they added a centre heart escutcheon. It shows the original content of Pilsen seal from the end of the 13th century.

Political and religious rivalry between Catholic majority and non-Catholic minority in Pilsen in the second half of the 16th century ended in victory for the majority. Nevertheless, the main part of the non-Catholics continued to live and work in the town. In the year 1578, in proof of the victory of the Catholic Church, the pope Gregory the XIII added a high upright golden cross on a green triple hill to the coat of arms of our town.

There was a golden sign on the triple hill "In hoc signo vinces" (You are going to win under this sign). There were other heraldric elements in the rendering of the pope deed, e.g. an olive spring, two helmets and a pole-axe. It was at that occassion that the Pilsen coat of arms got its final form. It has been preserved till today.


Informace cerpány ze stránek:
portál mesta Plzne: (visit link)
Wikipedie - Plzensky znak: (visit link)
odkaz na znak: (visit link) - volná licence - Podle ceského Autorského zákona (Zákon c. 121/2000 Sb., § 3, odstavec a) jde o dílo vynaté z ochrany dle práva autorského.
Bearer of Coat of Arms: Town

Full name of the bearer: City of Pilsen

Where is Coat of Arms installed (short description) ?:
Coat of Arms is on building the Study and Research Library.


Material / Design: Stucco

Blazon (heraldic description):
http://web.plzen.eu/en/about_the_city/history/story_of_coat_of_arms/index.html


Address:
Studijní a vědecká knihovka
Smetanovy sady
Plzen
300 00


Web page about the structure where is Coat of Arms installed (if exists): [Web Link]

Web page about the bearer of Coat of Arms (if exists): [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the coat of arms. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Coats of Arms
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
slava04 visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 11/17/2012 slava04 visited it
rictep visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 10/28/2011 rictep visited it
Blešáci visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 10/28/2011 Blešáci visited it
Noe1 visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 2/11/2011 Noe1 visited it
torfik visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 10/23/2010 torfik visited it
3am visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 10/15/2010 3am visited it
dejf75 visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 10/7/2010 dejf75 visited it
ubusik visited Mesto Plzen, Ceská republika 10/7/2010 ubusik visited it

View all visits/logs