By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Noble County Courthouse - Perry, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hamquilter
N 36° 17.199 W 097° 17.194
14S E 653873 N 4017104
Quick Description: An historic stone and brick courthouse in Perry, OK
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 8/18/2010 1:30:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM9GF6
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 6

Long Description:
The Noble County Courthouse is a beautiful 3-story stone and brick building on the town square. Noble County was named in honor of John M. Noble of St. Louis, Secretary of the Department of the Interior under President Harrison.

Each county seat town in the Outlet opened with the Run of 1893, was laid out around a central square. When the squatters were driven off Government Acre (Perry's central square) one month after the Run, the 5-acre tract of land was only occupied by a small wooden Post Office building. The Square was a dusty piece of land in the center of Perry. In 1895, the ground was planted in alfalfa to keep the sand and dust to a minimum.

In 1896, a local ecologist and nature lover, Will T. Little, was given permission from the county commissioners to plant elm tree seedlings in the Perry courthouse park. He planted 8,600 seedlings 6 to 8 inches long. Enough trees were sold from this crop to repay the county for all the expense of the planting. Perry's lush courthouse park today is a living memorial to Mr. Little.

A courthouse was definitely needed, but no funds were available. T. M. Richardson & Sons, lumbermen, came to the rescue and constructed a 2-story frame building on the east side of the courthouse park. The building served the county well for twenty years.

A bond issue in the amount of $100,000 for the construction of a new courthouse was approved in the spring of 1915. The new courthouse built was a 3-story fireproof structure with a basemant and a jail block set atop the building. This is the beautiful building you see today.
(Information taken from (visit link)
Year Built: 1915

Current Use of Building: County Courthouse

Level of Courts: County

Architect: J.W. Hawk, et al

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1915-present

Physical Address:
300 Courthouse Drive Perry, OK 73077


Hours:
8:30 - 4:30 M-F


Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
The Snowdog visited Noble County Courthouse - Perry, OK 10/13/2017 The Snowdog visited it
FLMathfreak visited Noble County Courthouse - Perry, OK 10/6/2017 FLMathfreak visited it
Max and 99 visited Noble County Courthouse - Perry, OK 10/1/2013 Max and 99 visited it
Benchmark Blasterz visited Noble County Courthouse - Perry, OK 3/16/2013 Benchmark Blasterz visited it

View all visits/logs