The Colonial Court House is a replica of the original which stood in the Court House Square until 1841 when it was demolished. The founding fathers laid the foundation for the infant nation here & coined the phrase "The United States of America". The place reeks of Revolutionary War history. This sign tells a small part of the story. The sign reads:
CAPTAIN MICHAEL DOUDEL'S COMPANY
Near this site, Captain Michael Doudel's Company of York Country Riflemen mustered on July 24, 1775, prior to their 600-mile journey to join General George Washington at the siege of Boston, Massachusetts. These frontier patriots were the first to answer the call to arms by the Continental Congress resolution of June 14, 1775, authorizing the raising of 10 companies of riflemen. This was a beginning of what was to become, under the constitution, the United States Army.
The York Rifle Company has existed continuously from its establishment and is perpetuated in todays 131st Transportation Company, Pennsylvania Army National Guard.
Dedicated January 21, 1989 by the Honorable John O. Marsh, Jr., Secretary of the Army. The Honorable WIlliam F. Goodling, United States Representative, Major General Gerald T. Sajer, the Adjutant General, and the Honorable John F. Rauhauser, Jr., Chairman, York County Bicentennial Commission.
About the Site
An entire brick court house was constructed in 1776 to commemorate the country's bicentennial and to remind York of its prominent role in our nation's independence. Parking is street side of the famous Lincoln Highway overlooking the Codorus Creek.
the Colonial Courthouse replica on West Market Street in 1976. The replica of the original 1750s York County Court House was built as part of 200th anniversary festivities of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. It was dedicated May 1, 1976.
The building is part of something called the Colonial Complex. There are other building, authentic ones from the 1700's and they can all be visited. You can visit a reconstruction of the Court House where the Congress met during York's nine-month tenure as Capital of the United States just across the street from the Plough Tavern, which is also old as heck. (Tours begin in the Colonial Complex yard, located behind the General Gates House. Tours are offered at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., & 3 p.m. For more information call 717-846-6452.)
There are several historical markers on the courthouse property. All of them deal with 1776 history, and some about the courthouse (see gallery).
York County Colonial Court House
205 West Market Street
York, PA 17401-1007
I also found the following on the Susquehanna Heritage website:
America was born in York’s Colonial Courthouse. The original was constructed in what is known today as Continental Square. During the American Revolution the Second Continental Congress fled to York for safety and adopted the Articles of Confederation, in which the words "United States of America" first appeared. Congress worked at York’s Courthouse from September 30,1777 to June 27, 1778, adopting our nation’s first Constitution.Though the original building was torn down in 1841, it was rebuilt in 1976 by the York Bicentennial Commission and sits at the intersection of West Market and Codorus Creek. Like the original, the recreated building is designed in the English-style, Georgian architecture. It features a cupola, end chimneys and a gabled roof. SOURCE