By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bernard, Joseph D., House - Rayne, LA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member scrambler390
N 30° 14.849 W 092° 16.195
15R E 570240 N 3346434
Quick Description: Also known as the Bernard-Bertrand House, this house is now used as Rayne Cultural center.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 7/10/2010 4:49:38 PM
Waymark Code: WM97RY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member deano1943
Views: 3

Long Description:
Located about a half mile from Inerstate 10, the home was moved to this present location in 1999 to avoid being demolished. This was the home of Rayne's first mayor, Joseph D. Bernard.

From the State of Louisiana Historical plaque, located in front of home, it states:
"In 1883, the town of Rayne was incorporated and J.D. Bernard served as its first mayor. The Bernard residence stands today as one of Rayne's few remaining early structures. Originally located on West South 1st Street, it was purchased by E.J. Bertrand, the first operator of Rayne's Municipal Power Plant. The home was moved to its current location by the City of Rayne to make it more accessible to the public."

From the State of Louisiana register application page, located here a brief statement about history states:

"The Joseph D. Bernard House is locally significant in the areas of Exploration/Settlement and Politics/Government because it is the only surviving resource associated with Bernard, a co-founder and the first mayor of the town of Rayne. The home's period of significance ranges from 1881, the date of construction, to 1918, the year Bernard sold the residence. Like many towns across Louisiana, Rayne came into being when the railroad arrived in the area. In 1880, the Louisiana Western Railroad bypassed the nearby hamlet of Pouppeville, where three merchants (Bernard, M. Arenas and Francois Crouchet) had businesses. Dr. William H. Cunningham, a railroad employee, purchased land along the route and established a new town named Rayne Station after railroad official B. W. L. Rayne. Town lots went on sale in November 1880. As occurred so often in similar cases, Bernard and his two fellow merchants relocated their stores to the new community, as did church officials with their building. The town incorporated on March 20, 1883, and Bernard was appointed to serve a two year term as the community's first mayor. Five councilmen, a town clerk and a town marshal were available to assist him. Because all Town Council records prior to July 1886 were destroyed by a fire, it is impossible to obtain an exact accounting of Bernard's activities as mayor. However, a newly formed community has a number of needs, and research into the activities of the City of Westwego's first mayor, Conrad A. Buchler (for the National Register nomination of his home), has identified some of these issues."
Street address:
1023 The Boulevard
Rayne, LA USA


County / Borough / Parish: Acadia

Year listed: 2001

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Person (Joseph D. Bernard)

Periods of significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924

Historic function: Domestic. Sub - Single Dwelling

Current function: Recreation And Culture

Privately owned?: no

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.